Order of the symmetry group of Feynman Diagrams

In summary, the order of the symmetry group of Feynman Diagrams is the number of symmetries that a diagram possesses and is calculated by determining the number of distinct transformations that leave the diagram unchanged. It is important in Feynman Diagrams as it provides information about the underlying physical process and can simplify calculations. The order of the symmetry group can change depending on the diagram and is closely related to particle physics as it reflects the interactions between particles.
Breo
Hello,

I am learning Feynman diagrams and I still do not understad quite well the symmetry factor idea. The equation is:

$$ \frac{1}{O(G)} = \frac{M}{n!(4!)^n} $$

I was trying the next example:

cIR6Sil.jpg

If I am not wrong it is O(G) = 10 taking care of the asymmetry of each pair of internal lines connecting vertices.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now, I count S = O(G) = 12.

Can anyone at least explain "for dummies" how to count the order of symmetry?

Related to Order of the symmetry group of Feynman Diagrams

1. What is the meaning of "order of the symmetry group of Feynman Diagrams"?

The order of the symmetry group of Feynman Diagrams refers to the number of different ways in which a Feynman diagram can be transformed while still representing the same physical process. In other words, it is the number of symmetries that a Feynman diagram possesses.

2. How is the order of the symmetry group of Feynman Diagrams calculated?

The order of the symmetry group of Feynman Diagrams is calculated by determining the number of distinct transformations that leave the diagram unchanged. These transformations can include rotations, reflections, and permutations of particles in the diagram.

3. Why is the order of the symmetry group important in Feynman Diagrams?

The order of the symmetry group is important because it provides information about the underlying physical process represented by the Feynman diagram. It can also be used to simplify calculations and identify relationships between different Feynman diagrams.

4. Can the order of the symmetry group of Feynman Diagrams change?

Yes, the order of the symmetry group can change depending on the specific Feynman diagram and the physical process it represents. Some diagrams may have a higher order of symmetry group than others, indicating a greater number of symmetries and potentially simplifying the calculation process.

5. How does the order of the symmetry group of Feynman Diagrams relate to particle physics?

The order of the symmetry group is closely related to particle physics because it reflects the symmetries and interactions between particles in a physical process. Understanding the order of the symmetry group can provide valuable insights into the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe.