Order of the corrector of Adams-Moulton type

• MHB
  • Thread starter ra_forever8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, the Order of the corrector of Adams-Moulton type refers to the accuracy of the numerical method used to solve initial value problems in differential equations. It is determined by analyzing the error in the numerical solution compared to the exact solution and is important because it tells us how accurate our numerical method is. It is not the same as the Order of the predictor and can be improved by using higher order approximations or applying a higher order corrector method, but this also increases the complexity and computational cost of the method.
ra_forever8
What is the order of the corrector of Adams-Moulton type required in order to apply Milne's method for estimating the error in PECE mode? Find the coefficient of the leading term in the truncation error for the third order implicit Adams-Moulton linear multistep scheme
\begin{equation}
y_{n+3}=y_{n+2}+ \frac{h}{12}(5 f_{n+3}+8f_{n+2}-f_{n+1}) \end{equation}
and deduce from the notes the value of Milne's error estimate of the error in this case.
=>
first part of this question really confuse me. I know for the order of corrector of PECE is 3 for Adams-Moulton but I really don't know how to apply Milne's method to estimate the error in PECE mode.
now for the second part of question
Third order implicit Adams-Moulton linear multistep scheme
\begin{equation}
y_{n+3}=y_{n+2}+ \frac{h}{12}(5 f_{n+3}+8f_{n+2}-f_{n+1}) \end{equation}
The LTE is given by $T_n$
After calculating in paper with massive cancellation I have got LTE as
\begin{equation} hT_n= (\frac{27}{8} -\frac{2}{3}-\frac{11}{4}) h^4 y_{iv}+O(h^4)+O(h^5)
\end{equation}
\begin{equation} hT_n= -\frac{1}{24} h^4 y_{iv}+O(h^4)+O(h^5)\end{equation}
\begin{equation} T_n= -\frac{1}{24} h^3 y_{iv}+O(h^3)+O(h^4)
\end{equation}
Therefore the coefficient of leading term is $C_{p}=-\frac{1}{24}$
For the last part of the question
Milne's error estimate is given by
\begin{equation} e_{n+1}= C_{p} h^{P+1}y^{p+1}+O(h^{p+2} \end{equation}
\begin{equation} e_{n+1}= -\frac{1}{24} h^3 y^{4}+O(h^5)\end{equation}
Someone please kindly check my solution and reply me if I got wrong.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Also please help me out for first part of the question. Thank you.Hello fellow scientist,

First, let me clarify the first part of the question. The order of the corrector for Adams-Moulton type is indeed 3, but in order to apply Milne's method for estimating the error in PECE mode, we need to use an Adams-Moulton scheme of at least 4th order. This is because Milne's method requires a higher order scheme to accurately estimate the error. Therefore, the order of the corrector for Milne's method in this case would be 4.

Now, moving on to the second part of the question, your calculation for the leading term in the truncation error is correct. The coefficient of the leading term is indeed $C_p=-\frac{1}{24}$.

Finally, for the last part of the question, your solution is correct. The Milne's error estimate in this case would be $e_{n+1}=-\frac{1}{24}h^3y^4+O(h^5)$.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Keep up the good work in your scientific endeavors!

Related to Order of the corrector of Adams-Moulton type

1. What is the Order of the corrector of Adams-Moulton type?

The Order of the corrector of Adams-Moulton type refers to the accuracy of the numerical method used to solve initial value problems in differential equations. It is a measure of how well the method approximates the exact solution.

2. How is the Order of the corrector of Adams-Moulton type determined?

The Order of the corrector of Adams-Moulton type is determined by analyzing the error in the numerical solution compared to the exact solution. This is typically done by looking at the leading order term in the error expression.

3. What is the significance of the Order of the corrector of Adams-Moulton type?

The Order of the corrector of Adams-Moulton type is important because it tells us how accurate our numerical method is. A higher order means that the method will produce more accurate results with fewer computational steps.

4. Is the Order of the corrector of Adams-Moulton type the same as the Order of the predictor?

No, the Order of the corrector of Adams-Moulton type is not the same as the Order of the predictor. The predictor and corrector are two different stages in the Adams-Moulton method, with the corrector typically having a higher order than the predictor.

5. Can the Order of the corrector of Adams-Moulton type be improved?

Yes, the Order of the corrector of Adams-Moulton type can be improved by using higher order approximations or by applying a higher order corrector method. However, increasing the order also means increasing the complexity and computational cost of the method.