Order of molecules during transcription

• Thread starter icakeov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecules
In summary, during transcription processes, both the phosphate group and ribose sugar are added simultaneously to RNA and there is a polarity to RNA synthesis. Similarly, in protein synthesis, the amino- and carboxy- ends of amino acids are added simultaneously, but proteins are synthesized from the amino-terminus to the carboxy-terminus.
icakeov
I wonder if this is a viable question:

During transcription processes, which molecule in genes is "first in line", the phosphate group or the ribose sugar? I know they line up interchangeably, but does one of them "start" the process first?

I guess I could ask the same thing about proteins when they are made, whether carboxyl or amino group comes first in line?

Biology news on Phys.org
Phosphate and ribose are part of the same nucleotide molecule, so they get added simultaneously to RNA during transcription. There is a polarity to RNA synthesis, however. Nucleotides get linked together by a phosphodiester bond bridging carbon 5 from the ribose of one nucleotide to carbon 3 from the ribose of another nucleotide. These carbons are referred to as the 5' (five prime) and 3' (three prime) carbons to differentiate them from carbon 5 or 3 on the nitrogenous bases. When new nucleotides are added to a growing mRNA strand, RNA polymerase links the 3' end of the existing mRNA molecule to the 5' end of the new nucleotide.

Similarly, the amino- and carboxy- ends of amino acids are part of the same amino acid molecule, so they get added to proteins simultaneously. However, proteins are synthesized from the amino-terminus to carboxy-terminus (i.e. the amine group of a new amino acid gets linked to the carboxyl group of the growing polypeptide chain).

Likes jim mcnamara and icakeov
Perfect, exactly what I asked, many thanks Ygggdrasil!

Related to Order of molecules during transcription

1. What is the purpose of transcription?

The purpose of transcription is to convert the genetic information stored in DNA into RNA. This allows for the synthesis of proteins, which are essential for the functioning of cells and organisms.

2. What is the order of molecules involved in transcription?

The order of molecules involved in transcription is DNA, RNA polymerase, and nucleotides. DNA serves as the template for RNA synthesis, RNA polymerase is the enzyme responsible for catalyzing the formation of RNA, and nucleotides are the building blocks that make up RNA.

3. Can transcription occur in both prokaryotes and eukaryotes?

Yes, transcription can occur in both prokaryotes and eukaryotes. However, the process may differ slightly between the two types of organisms due to differences in their genetic material and cellular structures.

4. How does the order of nucleotides in DNA affect the order of nucleotides in RNA?

The order of nucleotides in DNA determines the order of nucleotides in RNA. This is because RNA is synthesized using DNA as a template, with the complementary base pairing rule (A with U, C with G) being followed to ensure the correct sequence of nucleotides.

5. What is the function of mRNA in transcription?

The function of mRNA (messenger RNA) in transcription is to carry the genetic information from DNA to the ribosomes, where it will be translated into a protein. This intermediate step allows for the accurate transfer of genetic information from DNA to protein synthesis machinery.