Orbits of galaxies in the Coma Cluster

In summary, the conversation discusses the dynamics of the galaxies in the Coma Cluster, specifically their orbits and movements. The findings of Zwicky in 1933 on the cluster's rotational curves and the use of redshift to observe galaxy speeds are mentioned. The possibility of an animation of the cluster's movements and a computer simulation of a similar cluster are also brought up. The conversation ends with a question about the general dynamics of "typical" clusters and a thank you.
Buckethead
Gold Member
Because of Zwicky'f findings back in 1933 on the Coma Cluster rotational curves there is something I was wondering about with regard to this cluster. Are the galaxies orbiting in generally the same direction? (like a spiral galaxy) or in completely random directions like an Elliptical, or something in between the two (a spiral where some galaxies orbit at an angle above or below the disk plane?). Has anyone done an animation of the movements of the galaxies in the Coma or similar cluster? I read of a computer simulation of mass points similar to the Coma and I guess the interactions were quite complex because of the lack of a very strong central gravity but could not find out much more. Galaxy clusters similar to the Coma are fine too. Just curious about the general dynamics of any "typical" cluster (if there is such a thing). Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Buckethead said:
Because of Zwicky'f findings back in 1933 on the Coma Cluster rotational curves
You are confusing the findings of Zwicky with those of Vera Rubin. Zwicky's conclusions were based on the virial theorem.

Ah, perhaps. I thought Zwicky was using redshift to observe speeds of galaxies in the Coma Custer and found them to be too fast. Similar to Rubin, but on a cluster scale instead of a galactic scale. What I couldn't find out was the actual trajectories of the galaxies in the Coma which is what I'm particularly interested in.

1. How many galaxies are in the Coma Cluster?

The Coma Cluster is estimated to contain over 10,000 galaxies, making it one of the largest known galaxy clusters.

2. What is the shape of the orbits of galaxies in the Coma Cluster?

The orbits of galaxies in the Coma Cluster are highly elliptical, meaning they are elongated and not perfectly circular.

3. How fast do galaxies in the Coma Cluster orbit?

The average speed of galaxies in the Coma Cluster is around 800 kilometers per second, or about 1.8 million miles per hour.

4. Are there any patterns in the orbits of galaxies in the Coma Cluster?

Yes, scientists have observed that galaxies in the Coma Cluster tend to move in groups or subclusters, which may indicate the influence of dark matter.

5. How do scientists study the orbits of galaxies in the Coma Cluster?

Scientists use a variety of techniques, including spectroscopy and gravitational lensing, to study the orbits of galaxies in the Coma Cluster and understand the dynamics of this massive structure.