Orbital Potential Energy to find r and phi in terms of t.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential energy of a particle in a central force field with the orbit r=cφ^2 and determining r and phi in terms of t. The formula for potential energy is U=-l^2/mu (2c/r^3+l/2r^2), where l is angular momentum and mu is reduced mass. To find r and phi, the professor showed in class that l=mu r^2 dφ/dt is important and can be used to integrate and get r^2(t)=lt/mu. Using this method, r and phi can be determined.
10Exahertz

Homework Statement

A particle in central force field has the orbit r=cφ^2, c is a constant. Find the potential energy, Find r and phi in terms of t.
I get how to find the potential energy and found it to be U=-l^2/mu (2c/r^3+l/2r^2)
l is angular momentum and mu is the reduced mass
But how do I get r and phi in terms of t after this?

Homework Equations

From what my professor showed in class l=mu r^2 dφ/dt was important
he used that to integrate and get r^2(t)=lt/mu
I'm trying to use this method to get r and phi

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
10Exahertz said:
I'm trying to use this method to get r and phi
Sounds good. Once you have dφ/dt, you can get dt/dφ and integrate.

Related to Orbital Potential Energy to find r and phi in terms of t.

1. How is orbital potential energy related to the distance and angle in an orbit?

Orbital potential energy is directly proportional to the distance between two objects and inversely proportional to the angle between them in an orbit. This means that as the distance increases, the potential energy also increases, while the potential energy decreases as the angle increases.

2. How can we calculate the distance r from the orbital potential energy?

The distance r can be calculated by using the equation for orbital potential energy: PE = -GmM/r. By rearranging the equation, we can solve for r, which gives us r = -GmM/PE.

3. Can we use orbital potential energy to determine the angle phi in an orbit?

Yes, we can use orbital potential energy to determine the angle phi by using the equation PE = -GmM/r = -GmM/(r*cos(phi)), where r is the distance and phi is the angle. By rearranging the equation, we can solve for phi, giving us phi = arccos(-PE*r/GmM).

4. How does time factor into the calculation of orbital potential energy to find r and phi?

Time is not a direct factor in the calculation of orbital potential energy to find r and phi. However, time is often used in other equations, such as the equation for orbital velocity, which can then be used to determine r and phi.

5. Is orbital potential energy the same as gravitational potential energy?

Yes, orbital potential energy is a type of gravitational potential energy. It is the potential energy associated with the gravitational force between two objects in an orbit.