Orbital period of satellite about a nonrotating body

In summary, a satellite is in circular orbit at an altitude of 1000 km above the surface of a nonrotating planet with a speed of 5.3 km/s. The escape velocity for the planet is 11.3 km/s, so the orbital period of the satellite, in minutes, is 25.
mollybethe

Homework Statement

A satellite is in circular orbit at an altitude of 1000 km above the surface of a nonrotating planet with n orbital speed of 5.3 km/s. The escape velocity for the planet is 11.3 km/s. In this situation the orbital period of the satellite, in minutes, is...?

Homework Equations

v(orbital)=√(GM/R+r)
v(escape)=√(2GM/R)
T=2∏R/v

The Attempt at a Solution

Of course I converted everything to SI units first. So v(orbital)=5300m/s and v(escape)=11300m/s and r=10^6m. What I did is solved the two equations for velocity for M and then plugged in what I had. I found that R is 282,028m which seems small, but then using that I find that and the second equation I find the time period in minutes to be 25. According to my answer key the answer should be 35. I don't know if I am wrong or the answer key is wrong. What I don't know how to do is allow for any effect that the fact that the planet is non-rotating may have. Help...am I making a silly mistake? It is after midnight and I have been at this a while.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your value for R is not correct. Assuming that you mean GM/(R+r) in the first equation, your equations are correct and I guess something must have slipped solving those equations for R. (Hint: one way is to find GM from the second equation and insert this into the first equation and solve for R).

I got it! I left out a times two...I was trying to be smooth with my algebra to make my calculations easier and left out a x 2. I got it. R=784624 so R+r=1.78562x10^6. Using the third equation that gives me 35 minutes. Thank you, at least I knew I was working it out correctly!

Related to Orbital period of satellite about a nonrotating body

1. What is the orbital period of a satellite?

The orbital period of a satellite is the time it takes for the satellite to complete one full orbit around a nonrotating body, such as a planet or star.

2. How is the orbital period of a satellite calculated?

The orbital period of a satellite is calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of the orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit.

3. Does the mass of the satellite affect its orbital period?

Yes, the mass of the satellite does affect its orbital period. According to Kepler's Third Law, the orbital period is also inversely proportional to the square root of the mass of the central body. Therefore, a heavier satellite will have a longer orbital period than a lighter satellite.

4. Can the orbital period of a satellite change?

Yes, the orbital period of a satellite can change due to external factors such as gravitational pull from other objects or atmospheric drag. It can also be intentionally changed by using thrusters or other propulsion systems.

5. How does the orbital period of a satellite affect its speed?

The orbital period of a satellite is directly related to its speed. The longer the orbital period, the slower the satellite will travel, and vice versa. This is because the speed of a satellite is determined by its distance from the central body and the mass of the central body.