Orbit, and Centrifuge questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of geosynchronous orbits for communications satellites and the calculations involved in determining the period, value of g, and apparent weight for a satellite in this orbit. The formula for g is mentioned, as well as the importance of knowing the mass of the earth and the distance from the center of the earth to the satellite. The conversation also touches on the use of centrifuges to simulate acceleration and the importance of using proper terminology when seeking help.
iHate Physics

Homework Statement

Communications satellites are placed in a circular orbit where they stay directly over a fixed point on the equator as the Earth rotates. These are called geosynchronous orbits. The altitude of a geosynchronous orbit is 3.58 x10^7 m

a)What is the period of a satellite in a geosynchronous orbit?
b)Find the value of g at this altitude.
c)What is the apparent weight of a 2000 kg satellite in a geosynchronous orbit?

Homework Equations

No Clue, I have never done this type of question.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was hoping someone could either guide me through this question or provide me with an example i could learn off.

Homework Statement

Astronauts use a centrifuge to simulate the acceleration of a rocket launch. The centrifuge takes 40.0 s to speed up from rest to its top speed of 1 rotation every 1.40 s. The astronaut is strapped into a seat 6.80 m from the axis.

b)How many g's of acceleration does the astronaut experience when the device is rotating at top speed? Each 9.80 m/s^2 of acceleration is 1 g.

Homework Equations

not sure.. once again I've never done this type of question.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well for his tangential acceleration i got 0.763m/s^2 but from that I don't know how to get the g's of acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
iHate Physics said:

Homework Statement

Communications satellites are placed in a circular orbit where they stay directly over a fixed point on the equator as the Earth rotates. These are called geosynchronous orbits. The altitude of a geosynchronous orbit is 3.58 x10^7 m

a)What is the period of a satellite in a geosynchronous orbit?
b)Find the value of g at this altitude.
c)What is the apparent weight of a 2000 kg satellite in a geosynchronous orbit?
If the satellite stays over the same point on the earth, how many times does it orbit the Earth in 24 hours?

um it doesn't orbit earth.. whoops i mean 1. k but what about finding g?

Last edited:
And the "period" is the time it takes to complete one orbit! What is the period?

The general formula for the force of gravity between to masses is [itex]GmM/r^2[/itex], here m is the mass of the satellite and M is the mass of the earth.
Since F= mg, g =[/itex]GM/r^2[/itex]. You need to know: G, the mass of the earth, and the distance from the center of the Earth to the satellite- that is the given altitude of the satellite plus the radius of the earth.

You know, people on this forum, at least those likely to give you good hints, really love physics. Has it occurred to you that calling yourself "iHate Physics" doesn't really encourage them to help you?

really? i didn't think a name like that would be pretty serious around here. Sorry, if i offended you.

for the apparent weight i used the formula wapp = mg(1+ay/g) g would be 0.223 but what would ay be?

Related to Orbit, and Centrifuge questions

1. What is an orbit?

An orbit is the curved path that an object takes around a larger object due to the force of gravity. In space, this can refer to the path of a satellite around a planet or the path of a planet around a star.

2. How is an orbit calculated?

An orbit can be calculated using the laws of motion and gravity, specifically Newton's laws and Kepler's laws. These equations take into account the mass and distance of the objects involved to determine the shape and size of the orbit.

3. What is a centrifuge?

A centrifuge is a machine that uses centrifugal force to separate substances based on their density. It works by spinning a container at high speeds, causing heavier particles to move towards the outside of the container and lighter particles to stay towards the center.

4. What are centrifuges used for in science?

Centrifuges have many uses in science, including separating blood components for medical testing, isolating DNA, and purifying proteins for research. They are also used in industrial processes for separating and purifying various substances.

5. How does centrifugal force work?

Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather an apparent force that occurs when an object is moving in a curved path. It is caused by the inertia of the object, which wants to continue moving in a straight line, but is forced to follow the curved path due to the rotation of the centrifuge.