Optimizing Thrown Ball Trajectories

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum distance an astronaut in a space suit can throw a ball on Earth's surface and the factors that affect it, such as the angle and speed of the throw. It also explores how these factors would change on a planet with a different gravitational acceleration. The final part of the conversation involves finding the maximum height the ball would reach on this trajectory.
Bryon

Homework Statement

An astronaut in his space suit can throw a ball a maximum distance dmax = 9 m on the surface of the earth.

For a given speed of the ball, what angle to the horizontal q (in degrees) will yield the greatest range? 45 degrees

If the ball is thrown at this same angle q, what speed will produce this greatest range (9 m) ? 9.3m/s

How far can he throw the ball on a planet where g1 = 22 m/s2? 4.009

What height will the ball reach on this "maximum range" trajectory? (on the planet where g1 = 22 m/s2)? I am having a problem with this one. I need help!

Homework Equations

v(y) = v(initial)*sin(angle)
v(y) = v( y initial) + at
y = y(initial) + 0.5(v(inital) + v)t

The Attempt at a Solution

v(y) = 9sin(45) = 6.57

0 = 6.57 + 22(t)
t = 0.298

y = 0 + 0.5(6.57 + 0)*(0.298)
y = 0.978

Where did I go wrong? Did I need the vertial acceleration?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
(y) = 9sin(45) = 6.57
It should be
(y) = 9.3sin(45)

Ah yes I made a type, it should be 9.3. But I still am having trouble finding the maximum height...It seems that every approach I've tried it comes up wrong.

Bryon said:
Ah yes I made a type, it should be 9.3. But I still am having trouble finding the maximum height...It seems that every approach I've tried it comes up wrong.
t = 0.2986
= 0.299

Related to Optimizing Thrown Ball Trajectories

What is the concept of finding maximum height?

The concept of finding maximum height is determining the highest point reached by an object in its vertical motion, usually due to the force of gravity.

What is the equation for finding maximum height?

The equation for finding maximum height is h = (v02sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you find the maximum height in a real-life scenario?

In a real-life scenario, you can find the maximum height by measuring the initial velocity and the angle of projection, and plugging those values into the equation h = (v02sin2θ)/2g. You can also use a motion sensor or a video analysis software to track the object's motion and determine the maximum height.

What factors can affect the maximum height of an object?

The maximum height of an object can be affected by factors such as initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors like air density, wind, and surface friction can also affect the maximum height.

What is the significance of finding maximum height in scientific research?

Finding maximum height is significant in scientific research as it helps in understanding the laws of motion and gravity. It is also useful in predicting the trajectory of objects and in designing technologies like projectiles and rockets.