Optimizing Simultaneous Equations for Experimental Data Analysis

In summary, the speaker has conducted an experiment involving an AC waveform and an inductor, resulting in 6 sets of data for impedance and frequency. They are seeking a method to determine the best fitting values for R and L using the formula Z^2 = R^2 + (2pifL)^2. The speaker is open to suggestions on how to approach this question.
Just some guy
Hi,

I have the results from an experiment I carried out and basically I have a formula with 2 unknown variables in it, and 6 sets of data. Because this data is from an experiment it isn't perfect and I was wondering about the method that determines the value of the 2 constants that would best fit the data.

(to elaborate, I was plugging an AC waveform into a circuit with an inductor and measuring the current and voltage - from this I got the impedance and the frequency. Since Z^2 = R^2+X^2 where X = inductive reactance, I want to find the best fitting value of R and L with 6 sets of data for Z and the frequency of the oscillator (since X=2pifL)

Cheers,
Zachary.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, to elaborate some more I have these sets of data:

f=496
z=5.99

f=997
z=9.10

f=1410
z=11.3

f=1900
z=13.5

f=2377
z=15.3

f=2800
z=16.8

And the formula Z^2 = R^2 + (2pifL)^2

How do I find which values of R and L which best fit this data?

Do you have thoughts on how you may approach this question? If you are still stymied, just take an educated guess on the procedure. Then we can help steer you in a successful direction.

What does pifL mean? Is that pi * f * L? If so then you could let x = f^2 and y = z^2 and do a linear regression.

Last edited:

Related to Optimizing Simultaneous Equations for Experimental Data Analysis

What is the definition of simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of two or more equations that are solved together to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations. These equations are usually represented by letters and symbols and can involve addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What is the purpose of solving simultaneous equations?

The purpose of solving simultaneous equations is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations. This is useful in many real-world scenarios, such as solving systems of linear equations in order to find the optimal solution to a problem.

What are the different methods for solving simultaneous equations?

The most common methods for solving simultaneous equations are substitution, elimination, and graphing. In substitution, one equation is solved for a variable and then that value is substituted into the other equation. In elimination, the equations are manipulated so that one variable is eliminated, leaving an equation with only one variable to solve. In graphing, the equations are plotted on a graph and the point of intersection represents the solution.

What are some real-life applications of simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations can be used in various fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and statistics. For example, in physics, simultaneous equations can be used to calculate the position and velocity of a moving object. In economics, they can be used to determine the optimal production levels for a company. In engineering, they can be used to solve electrical circuits or determine the forces acting on a structure. In statistics, they can be used to analyze data and make predictions.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving simultaneous equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving simultaneous equations include not properly setting up the equations, making calculation errors, and forgetting to check the solution. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and set up the equations correctly. When solving, it is important to double-check all calculations and make sure to simplify the final answer. It is also important to check the solution by substituting the values into the original equations to ensure they satisfy all of the equations.