Optimizing Room Temperature: Impact of Thermal Paste on Notebook Heat

• B
  • Thread starter Ombilic
  • Start date
In summary, in a hypothetical situation where a heat generator (similar to a CPU) is placed in a room with a notebook, the temperature in the room would be hotter when the thermal paste on the heat generator is old and the temperature of the notebook is higher. This is because the same amount of heat is produced in both situations, but in the first scenario, more of the heat is dissipated into the room, resulting in a higher overall temperature. However, this may not hold true in real-world scenarios due to factors such as CPU efficiency and cooling technology. Ultimately, the answer depends on the specific circumstances and assumptions made.
Ombilic
Assuming there is a notebook big and hot enough to change the temperature in a room, when is hotter in that room?
a) when the thermal paste on the CPU is old and thus the temperature of the notebook gets higher.
b) when the thermal paste has been recently changed and the temperature on the processor runs lower.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ombilic, :welcome:

Is this homework ?
And: what are your thoughts on this ? (This is PF culture...)

(at first I thought you had a paper notebook on fire or something :smile:)

What do you think and why?

No, It's not a homework. I had an argument with a colleague and since then we asked 4 other persons and all when with answer a.
However I think the answer is b. Considering the same amount of heat is produced in the same situations, I tend to go for b, because more of the same quantity of heat goes in the room and thus it gets hotter. I'm pretty sure my answer is the correct one, still it boggles me so many can't see this simple math. Unless I'm wrong all along, in which case.. fml I don't want live anymore after I stood up for it so strong.

I agree that "b" works in the short term since distribution of heat to the room at computer startup is quicker than in "a" but do you really think that it matters in the long run? If so, why?

Likes Ombilic
It makes no difference in the long run as long as this notebook is capable of reaching any temperature without shutting itself down.

The point that i wanted to prove is that there is no way in which situation b grants a higher temperature than situation a. Is it right?

For most ways to spin this, both answers are wrong. Conservation of energy demands that all of the heat generated be dissipated into the room.

This is true even if you count the extra heat carried by the computer, since the once you turn the computer off, the heat is dissipated into the room. And if you leave the laptop on forever, you asymptotically approach the steady state.

Likes Ombilic
Agree with above, but if you add assumptions, the results will change.
If you assume that the CPU slows down when it gets hot (due to Intel's technology to prevent overheating), then it will generate less heat when it's hot.
The efficiency of the CPU probably depends on temperature. For many materials, the resistance increases at higher temperature, meaning there's a positive feedback, and you generate more heat for the same amount of processing. I don't know enough about CPUs to know if this is the case.

Likes russ_watters
Khashishi said:
Agree with above, but if you add assumptions, the results will change.
If you assume that the CPU slows down when it gets hot (due to Intel's technology to prevent overheating), then it will generate less heat when it's hot.
The efficiency of the CPU probably depends on temperature. For many materials, the resistance increases at higher temperature, meaning there's a positive feedback, and you generate more heat for the same amount of processing. I don't know enough about CPUs to know if this is the case.
I doubt the OP was taking any of that into account. I read it as a very simple problem, not complicated by such real-world considerations.

Ombilic said:
It makes no difference in the long run as long as this notebook is capable of reaching any temperature without shutting itself down.
I assure you that is impossible. It may be that it is capable of withstanding any temperature that IT can generate (in a room with a normal temperature range) but to say that it can reach any temperature and not shut down it impossible. Try putting it in an oven on high.

Maybe I formulated the opening post wrong. The hypothesis is not a real CPU and a notebook, it's more like a heat generator. I don't want to go that deep into CPU physics as I and the others I'm having an argument with are not that good at CPU physics.

Ombilic said:
Maybe I formulated the opening post wrong. The hypothesis is not a real CPU and a notebook, it's more like a heat generator. I don't want to go that deep into CPU physics as I and the others I'm having an argument with are not that good at CPU physics.
OK. Do you now feel that you have your answer?

Yes, I got my answer. Do I have to close the thread, choose an answer or anything like this?

Ombilic said:
Yes, I got my answer. Do I have to close the thread, choose an answer or anything like this?

no, just thank everyone and click on the like button for those that helped you :smile:

Likes Ombilic
Case closed. Thanks guys!

Likes davenn

Related to Optimizing Room Temperature: Impact of Thermal Paste on Notebook Heat

1. What causes a room to become hotter?

There are several factors that can contribute to a room becoming hotter, such as direct sunlight, lack of ventilation, or appliances emitting heat. The main cause, however, is the transfer of heat energy from an external source, such as the sun or other heat-producing objects, to the air and objects in the room.

2. How does temperature affect the comfort level in a room?

Temperature plays a crucial role in determining the comfort level in a room. If a room is too hot, it can cause discomfort and even lead to health issues such as dehydration and heat exhaustion. On the other hand, if a room is too cold, it can also cause discomfort and increase the risk of catching a cold or other illnesses.

3. Is it better to open a window or turn on the air conditioning to cool down a hot room?

It depends on the external temperature and the temperature inside the room. If it is significantly hotter outside, it may be more efficient to use air conditioning to cool down the room. However, if the outside temperature is relatively mild, opening a window can help circulate fresh air and cool down the room without using electricity.

4. How long does it take for a room to cool down?

The time it takes for a room to cool down depends on various factors, such as the size of the room, the outside temperature, and the efficiency of the cooling system. Generally, it can take anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours for a room to cool down, but it may take longer if the outside temperature is extremely hot.

5. How can I prevent a room from becoming too hot?

To prevent a room from becoming too hot, you can take several measures such as using shades or blackout curtains to block out direct sunlight, ensuring proper ventilation, and using energy-efficient appliances that emit less heat. It is also helpful to adjust your thermostat to a slightly higher temperature during the hotter months to prevent the room from overheating.