Optimizing Outcomes: The Role of Probability in Choosing Boxes

In summary, the conversation discusses a computer algorithm that describes the change of choice in a game where a friend puts $10 in one of three boxes and eliminates an empty box. The question is whether it is better to change the choice or not in order to achieve the maximum outcome. The algorithm suggests that changing the choice is better, which is supported by the popular Monty Hall problem.
KarateMan
hi, I am writing a computer algorithm which descibes the change of choice.

1.your friend puts $10 in a box among three (there are three boxes) but you don't know which.
2.you choose one of them but do not open it.
3.your friend opens (eliminates) one of empty boxes
i.e. if you choose the lucky box, he eliminate either one of two empty boxes at equal probability
and if you choose an unlucky one, he eliminates the empty remainder.
4.then you decide, whether or not you change your choice between two remainings.
5.repeat 1~4 many times and expect the maximum result(in $).

Question: you'd better change your choice? or should not change? for the maximum outcome.

I expected that the change of choice should not matter: the equal probabilities.

but my computer algorithm tells that "if you change the choice, better"

Can someone tell me whether I am wrong or my algorithm is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The algorithm is right. Search for Monty Hall problem (here or on the search engine of your choice). It's a popular topic. In short: picking the remaining box is really as good as picking both remaining boxes, and there's a better chance it's in one of the two remaining boxes than in your original 1.

Thank you for such a quick reply!
I will check it out. but your explanation helped a lot, CRGreathouse!

Related to Optimizing Outcomes: The Role of Probability in Choosing Boxes

1. What is probability and how is it related to the choice of boxes?

Probability is a mathematical concept that measures the likelihood of a certain event occurring. In the context of the choice of boxes, probability refers to the chances or likelihood of selecting a specific box from a set of boxes.

2. How do you calculate the probability of choosing a box from a set of boxes?

The probability of choosing a specific box from a set of boxes can be calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes (selecting the specific box) by the total number of possible outcomes (number of boxes in the set).

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability, on the other hand, is based on actual observations or experiments and may vary from the theoretical probability.

4. How does the number of boxes in a set affect the probability of choosing a specific box?

The number of boxes in a set directly affects the probability of choosing a specific box. As the number of boxes increases, the probability of choosing a specific box decreases. This is because the total number of possible outcomes increases, making the desired outcome (choosing a specific box) less likely.

5. What role does randomness play in the choice of boxes and probability?

Randomness plays a significant role in the choice of boxes and probability. It ensures that each box has an equal chance of being selected, making the probability of selecting a specific box fair and unbiased.