Optimizing Football Coach Rankings: Choosing Weights for Statistical Variables

In summary, the individual is seeking help in ranking football coaches and has identified several variables to consider such as total career wins, winning percentage, and championships. However, they are unsure of how to assign weights to each variable and create a formula. They also lack a clear goal or purpose for the rankings and are open to suggestions for other important stats to consider. Ultimately, ranking systems in general are subjective and may not have a significant impact on decision making.
sitia
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to rank football coaches and I'm a little confused on how to choose the weights to put in each variable. So far the variables I have decided to use are: total career wins, total winning percentage, current season winning percentage, current season total point, number of years as head coach, national and regional championships won, and maybe salary. I have all the data but now I'm confused on how to calculate the rankings. How do I choose the wights I put into each variable (importance) and then create a formula?

This is not homework! It's individual research I'm doing for a club.

Any help appreciated :)

P.S: I do not know much about football so if you can think of any other stats that it's important please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
sitia said:
I am trying to rank football coaches

If you search the forum posts, you can find several threads on the theme of "How should I rank..." this and that (and in most them, the person asking the question doesn't know what he's trying to accomplish by ranking things.)

There is no mathematical answer to problems that have no defined goal. You have to know what the ranking is supposed to accomplish. What kind of decisions will be based on the ranking? If I showed you the results of two different ranking methods, how would you decide which result was best?

Stephen Tashi said:
If you search the forum posts, you can find several threads on the theme of "How should I rank..." this and that (and in most them, the person asking the question doesn't know what he's trying to accomplish by ranking things.)

There is no mathematical answer to problems that have no defined goal. You have to know what the ranking is supposed to accomplish. What kind of decisions will be based on the ranking? If I showed you the results of two different ranking methods, how would you decide which result was best?

I have the same view. Ranking systems like this are usually just expressions of the ranker's prejudices. So whatever you do is likely to be no better or worse than anyone else's rankings.

Related to Optimizing Football Coach Rankings: Choosing Weights for Statistical Variables

What is ranking football statistics?

Ranking football statistics is the process of evaluating and comparing the performance of football teams and players based on various metrics such as goals scored, assists, passing accuracy, and many others.

Why is ranking football statistics important?

Ranking football statistics is important because it provides a quantitative measure of a team or player's performance, allowing for objective comparisons and insights. It can also be used for scouting and recruitment purposes, as well as for making strategic decisions.

What are the different types of ranking football statistics?

There are various types of ranking football statistics, including team statistics (e.g. overall wins, goals scored, clean sheets), individual player statistics (e.g. goals, assists, passing accuracy), and advanced statistics (e.g. expected goals, expected assists, shot conversion rate).

How are ranking football statistics calculated?

Ranking football statistics are calculated using mathematical formulas that take into account the relevant data points. For example, a team's ranking may be based on their win percentage and goal difference, while a player's ranking may be based on their goals and assists per game.

What are the limitations of ranking football statistics?

While ranking football statistics can provide valuable insights, they should not be the sole factor in evaluating a team or player. They do not take into account external factors such as injuries, team chemistry, or tactical strategies. Additionally, different ranking systems may use different formulas, resulting in varying rankings for the same team or player.