Optimization With Two Constraints

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum value of the objective function ad-bc, given the constraints a²+b²=2 and (c-3)²+(d-4)²=1. The Lagrange Multiplier method can be used to solve this problem, and after setting up the system of equations involving the partials, we find that the critical points are (a,b,c,d)=\left(\pm\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},\mp\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{12}{5},\frac{16}{5} \right),\,\left(\pm\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},\mp\frac{3
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

I've come across this problem recently:

If a²+b²=2 and (c-3)²+(d-4)²=1, find the maximum value of ad-bc.

I haven't solved it and actually, I don't know of any algebraic method I could use to solve it and I am wondering if this problem is doable with the Lagrange Multiplier method. However, as some of you know, I am new to this method, and I don't know how to handle multiple constraints.

If you're interested in this problem and want to share with me your idea on how to crack it using a purely algebraic method that would be fine, but if you could help me solve it using Lagrange Multipliers, I would like that too.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
We have the objective function:

\(\displaystyle f(a,b,c,d)=ad-bc\)

subject to the constraints:

\(\displaystyle g(a,b,c,d)=a^2+b^2-2=0\)

\(\displaystyle h(a,b,c,d)=(c-3)^2+(d-4)^2-1=0\)

So, what you want to do is write the system (involving the indicated partials):

\(\displaystyle f_a=\lambda g_a+\mu h_a\)

\(\displaystyle f_b=\lambda g_b+\mu h_b\)

\(\displaystyle f_c=\lambda g_c+\mu h_c\)

\(\displaystyle f_d=\lambda g_d+\mu h_d\)

What do you get?

MarkFL said:
We have the objective function:

\(\displaystyle f(a,b,c,d)=ad-bc\)

subject to the constraints:

\(\displaystyle g(a,b,c,d)=a^2+b^2-2=0\)

\(\displaystyle h(a,b,c,d)=(c-3)^2+(d-4)^2-1=0\)

So, what you want to do is write the system (involving the indicated partials):

\(\displaystyle f_a=\lambda g_a+\mu h_a\)

\(\displaystyle f_b=\lambda g_b+\mu h_b\)

\(\displaystyle f_c=\lambda g_c+\mu h_c\)

\(\displaystyle f_d=\lambda g_d+\mu h_d\)

What do you get?

Hey MarkFL, thanks for the quick reply!:)

Oh...what you have suggested is by approaching it using the Lagrange Multipliers method...(Tmi):eek:

Okay...for those 4 equations in the system, I get:

\(\displaystyle d=\lambda (2a)\)

\(\displaystyle -c=\lambda (2b)\)

\(\displaystyle -b=\mu (2(c-3))\)

\(\displaystyle a=\mu (2(d-4))\)

Your first two equations are correct, but the last two are not...do you see your error in taking the partials of $f$ with respect to $c$ and $d$?

MarkFL said:
Your first two equations are correct, but the last two are not...do you see your error in taking the partials of $f$ with respect to $c$ and $d$?

Yes, I realized I made two errors and have them fixed right before you replied...:D

Okay, looks good! :D

Now, what you want to do is try to find what this system implies regarding how the variables are related to get the critical point(s). I suggest solving the first two equations for $2\lambda$ and the last two equations for $2\mu$ and equate the results. What do you find?

MarkFL said:
Okay, looks good! :D

Now, what you want to do is try to find what this system implies regarding how the variables are related to get the critical point(s). I suggest solving the first two equations for $2\lambda$ and the last two equations for $2\mu$ and equate the results. What do you find?

Oh okay...after equating the results, I get

$bd=-ac$ and $-bd+4b=ac-3a$

and this implies $b=-\dfrac{3a}{4}$.

Okay good...can you think of a way to solve for $(a,b)$? Do you have any additional relationship between these variables that you can use?

Can you also find a relationship between $c$ and $d$?

MarkFL said:
Okay good...can you think of a way to solve for $(a,b)$? Do you have any additional relationship between these variables that you can use?

Can you also find a relationship between $c$ and $d$?

Sure...

After doing some simple addition and subtraction steps, we arrived at:

$(a,b,c,d)=\dfrac{4\sqrt{2}}{5}, -\dfrac{3\sqrt{2}}{5}, \dfrac{18}{5}, \dfrac{24}{5}$

or

$(a,b,c,d)=-\dfrac{4\sqrt{2}}{5},\dfrac{3\sqrt{2}}{5}, \dfrac{12}{5}, \dfrac{16}{5}$

Let me check your work...:D

You found from $\lambda$:

\(\displaystyle ac+bd=0\)

and from $\mu$:

\(\displaystyle 4b+3a=ac+bd\)

Hence, we know:

\(\displaystyle 4b+3a=0\implies b=-\frac{3}{4}a\)

Substituting for $b$ into the first constraint, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle a^2+\left(-\frac{3}{4}a \right)^2=2\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{25}{16}a^2=2\)

\(\displaystyle a=\pm\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2}\implies b=\mp\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2}\)

Case 1: \(\displaystyle (a,b)=\left(\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2} \right)\)

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2} \right)c-\left(\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2} \right)d=0\)

\(\displaystyle d=\frac{4}{3}c\)

Substituting into the second constraint, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle (c-3)^2+\left(\frac{4}{3}c-4 \right)=1\)

\(\displaystyle c^2-6c+9+\frac{16}{9}c^2-\frac{32}{3}c+16=1\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{25}{9}c^2-\frac{50}{3}c+24=0\)

\(\displaystyle 25c^2-150c+216=0\)

\(\displaystyle (5c-18)(5c-12)=0\)

\(\displaystyle c=\frac{12}{5},\,\frac{18}{5}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle d=\frac{16}{5},\,\frac{24}{5}\)

Thus, from this first case, we have the critical points:

\(\displaystyle (a,b,c,d)=\left(\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{12}{5},\frac{16}{5} \right),\,\left(\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{18}{5},\frac{24}{5} \right)\)

Case 2: \(\displaystyle (a,b)=\left(-\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2} \right)\)

\(\displaystyle \left(-\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2} \right)c+\left(\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2} \right)d=0\)

\(\displaystyle d=\frac{4}{3}c\)

And so the second constraint gives the same values we found from the first case:

\(\displaystyle c=\frac{12}{5},\,\frac{18}{5}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle d=\frac{16}{5},\,\frac{24}{5}\)

Thus, from this second case, we have the critical points:

\(\displaystyle (a,b,c,d)=\left(-\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{12}{5},\frac{16}{5} \right),\,\left(-\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{18}{5},\frac{24}{5} \right)\)

So, we have a total of four critical points to check, and the one that gives the largest value for the objective function will maximize it.

What do you find is the value of the objective function for the four critical points?

MarkFL said:
Let me check your work...:D

Hey, I'm so so sorry, Mark!

I should have included all of my steps in my previous post so that you wouldn't have to work it out and typed everything in LaTeX for me...please forgive me
9.gif
and I will not repeat this again, I promise!
MarkFL said:
\(\displaystyle (a,b,c,d)=\left(\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{12}{5},\frac{16}{5} \right),\,\left(\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{18}{5},\frac{24}{5} \right),\left(-\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{12}{5},\frac{16}{5} \right),\,\left(-\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},+\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{18}{5},\frac{24}{5} \right)\)

So, we have a total of four critical points to check, and the one that gives the largest value for the objective function will maximize it.

What do you find is the value of the objective function for the four critical points?

Ops...there are a total of four critical points to check instead of two...:eek:

\(\displaystyle f\left(\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{12}{5},\frac{16}{5} \right)=\left(\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{16}{5} \right)-\left(-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{12}{5} \right)=4\sqrt{2}\)

\(\displaystyle f\left(\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{18}{5},\frac{24}{5} \right)=\left(\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{24}{5} \right)-\left(-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{18}{5} \right)=6\sqrt{2}\)

\(\displaystyle f\left(-\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{12}{5},\frac{16}{5} \right)=\left(-\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{16}{5} \right)-\left(\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{12}{5} \right)=-4\sqrt{2}\)

\(\displaystyle f\left(-\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{18}{5},\frac{24}{5} \right)=\left(-\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{24}{5} \right)-\left(\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{18}{5} \right)=-6\sqrt{2}\)

So the maximum value of $ad-bc=6\sqrt{2}$.

anemone said:
Hey, I'm so so sorry, Mark!

I should have included all of my steps in my previous post so that you wouldn't have to work it out and typed everything in LaTeX for me...please forgive me
9.gif
and I will not repeat this again, I promise!

Hey, no worries! (Hug)

anemone said:
Ops...there are a total of four critical points to check instead of two...:eek:

\(\displaystyle f\left(\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{12}{5},\frac{16}{5} \right)=\left(\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{16}{5} \right)-\left(-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{12}{5} \right)=4\sqrt{2}\)

\(\displaystyle f\left(\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{18}{5},\frac{24}{5} \right)=\left(\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{24}{5} \right)-\left(-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{18}{5} \right)=6\sqrt{2}\)

\(\displaystyle f\left(-\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{12}{5},\frac{16}{5} \right)=\left(-\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{16}{5} \right)-\left(\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{12}{5} \right)=-4\sqrt{2}\)

\(\displaystyle f\left(-\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2},-\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2},\frac{18}{5},\frac{24}{5} \right)=\left(-\frac{4}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{24}{5} \right)-\left(\frac{3}{5}\sqrt{2} \right) \left( \frac{18}{5} \right)=-6\sqrt{2}\)

So the maximum value of $ad-bc=6\sqrt{2}$.

Looks good! (Yes)

Would you know what to do for a problem with 3 or more constraints? (Thinking)

MarkFL said:
Hey, no worries! (Hug)

Thank you for forgiving me...:eek:(Inlove) and also thank you for guiding me through the problem!
MarkFL said:
Looks good! (Yes)

Would you know what to do for a problem with 3 or more constraints? (Thinking)

I honestly think I can, but my preference is to try my very best to solve any optimization problems algebraically first, and if I failed, then and only then I would consider the LM method!:p

I think it's best to tell what I've attempted so that if anyone happens to know of a way to crack it without the use of LM method, they can show me their method.:)

My Attempt (by algebraic approach):

I first let $a, b$ to represent $x_1$ and $y_1$ respectively and then I let $d$ and $c$ to become $x_2$ and $y_2$ and I then plot them separately on the same Cartesian diagram and I get
View attachment 1536

But the question asked us to maximize the expression $ad-bc$, which is equivalent to $x_1(x_2)-y_1(y_2)$, and I just don't see there is any significant meaning to the expression $x_1(x_2)-y_1(y_2)$ and up to this point, I know I am headed in the wrong direction. I still believe this problem is doable with the algebraic method, just that I don't see it...

Attachments

• optimization problem.JPG
    optimization problem.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 42
For each constraint, we need a multiplier, traditionally (or at least the way I was taught) we use $\lambda$ for the first, and $\mu$ for the second. I think what I would do for more than two constraints, is to simply subscript $\lambda$, so I don't have to keep choosing Greek letters. :D

MarkFL said:
For each constraint, we need a multiplier, traditionally (or at least the way I was taught) we use $\lambda$ for the first, and $\mu$ for the second. I think what I would do for more than two constraints, is to simply subscript $\lambda$, so I don't have to keep choosing Greek letters. :D

I see...hey, I'm not afraid...because if I ever encounter any math optimization problems which I couldn't solve, I have MHB or you to help me out!:)

Related to Optimization With Two Constraints

1. What is optimization with two constraints?

Optimization with two constraints is a mathematical method used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function while satisfying two different constraints or conditions. It involves finding the optimal solution that meets both constraints simultaneously.

2. How is optimization with two constraints different from single constraint optimization?

Single constraint optimization involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function while satisfying only one constraint. Optimization with two constraints adds an additional constraint, making the problem more complex and requiring more advanced mathematical techniques.

3. What are some examples of real-world applications of optimization with two constraints?

Optimization with two constraints can be used in various fields, such as finance, engineering, and operations research. Some examples include optimizing investment portfolios with risk and return constraints, designing structures with cost and strength constraints, and scheduling production processes with time and resource constraints.

4. What is the difference between equality and inequality constraints in optimization with two constraints?

In optimization with two constraints, equality constraints require the solution to meet the constraint exactly, while inequality constraints only require the solution to be within a certain range. For example, an equality constraint could be "the total cost must be exactly $1000," while an inequality constraint could be "the total cost must be less than or equal to $1000."

5. What are some methods for solving optimization problems with two constraints?

There are several methods for solving optimization problems with two constraints, including graphical methods, substitution methods, and the Lagrange multiplier method. These methods involve different techniques for finding the optimal solution, but they all aim to satisfy both constraints while maximizing or minimizing the objective function.