Solve Derivative Problem e^{xy} = ln (x+y): Find dy/dx

• Thread starter Warr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of e^{xy} = ln(x+y) and the difficulties the person is having in getting the correct answer. They mention trying a specific method and being unsure if it is correct. The expert suggests trying implicit differentiation and provides a simplified equation for the derivative.
Warr
[tex]e^{xy} = ln (x+y)[/tex]

I need to find dy/dx...but its difficult to get the answer in the book

I tried this:

[tex]ln e^{xy} = ln (ln (x + y))[/tex]

[tex]xy = ln (ln (x+y))[/tex]

taking the derivitive in terms of x

[tex]y + \frac{dy}{dx}x = (\frac {1}{ln (x+y)})(\frac {1}{x+y})(1 + \frac {dy}{dx})[/tex]

If I were to continue and solve for dy/dx It would not even be close to the books answer. I'm probably doing it wrong anyways...can someone show me the right way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try implicitly differentiating right off the bat. I find sometimes with implicit differentiation questions, your answers and the books answers can often seem pretty different (when in fact being the same).

[tex]e^{xy} = ln(x + y)[/tex]
[tex]e^{xy}(y + xy') = \frac{1 + y'}{x + y}[/tex]
[tex]y' = \frac{(x + y)(y)(e^{xy}) - 1}{1 - xe^{xy}}[/tex]

If you can find some way to further simplify, go ahead.

Hey, thanks :)

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It measures how much a function's output changes when its input is changed.

2. How do you solve a derivative problem?

To solve a derivative problem, you need to apply the appropriate derivative rules and formulas to the given function. This involves identifying the independent variable, using the power rule and chain rule, and simplifying the resulting expression.

3. What is the derivative of e^{xy}?

The derivative of e^{xy} is y*e^{xy}. This can be found by using the chain rule, where the derivative of the outer function e^{xy} is multiplied by the derivative of the inner function xy, which is y.

4. What is the derivative of ln (x+y)?

The derivative of ln (x+y) is 1/(x+y). This can be found by using the chain rule, where the derivative of the outer function ln (x+y) is multiplied by the derivative of the inner function x+y, which is 1.

5. How do you find dy/dx in this problem?

To find dy/dx in this problem, you need to equate the two derivatives found in questions 3 and 4. This results in the equation y*e^{xy} = 1/(x+y). Then, you can solve for dy/dx by dividing both sides by e^{xy} and simplifying the expression.