Optics - reduce image and launch into optical fiber

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to reduce an image and launch it into the core of an optical fiber. One suggestion is to break the image into pixels, encode it, and modulate the light being launched down the fiber. Another suggestion is to use a lens, and there are optical devices available for use in homes that can collect and focus light for indoor lighting. The original poster is interested in a passive approach using lenses. They ask for links to these devices and any other ideas.
Kururunfa
Dear all,

I'd like to know if there is a way of reducing an image and launching it into the core of an optical fiber.

By other words, I'm not interested in the spatial distribution of the light (the image itself) but I'm interested in gathering all the light coming from the scene and launching all this light into the core of an optical fiber.

Any help/suggestion on this?

Thank you very much in advance.

Filipe

Science news on Phys.org
Break the image into pixels, encode it, and modulate the light being launched down the fiber.

Reverse the process on the other end of the fiber.

That's very interesting and I'd love to hear more about how this is done but , Why can't you just use a lens? There are optical devices available for use in homes that collect a lot of light, focus it, move it into the house and spread it back out again to provide indoor lighting without putting a big hole in your roof. You might try to find one of those and see just how it works?

Antiphon,

how would you suggest to do that? It seems your approach is an active one, i.e., I would need to modulate the encoded light with some sort of light source and encoded after detecting it with a detector, such as a camera, for instance, right?
I would be more interested in a passive approach, built with lenses, for instance...

netgypsy,

can you give me a link or two for those devices that you spoke about? It seems a good possibility.

Any other ideas?

Thank you all! :smile:

Hello Filipe,

Thank you for your question. Yes, it is possible to reduce an image and launch it into the core of an optical fiber. This process is known as image fiber coupling and it is commonly used in various applications such as endoscopy, microscopy, and imaging systems.

The first step in this process is to reduce the size of the image to match the core diameter of the optical fiber. This can be done using lenses, mirrors, or other optical components. The reduced image is then directed into the core of the fiber using a coupling mechanism, such as a lens or a prism. The light from the image is then transmitted through the fiber to the other end, where it can be viewed or analyzed.

There are various factors that need to be considered in order to achieve efficient image fiber coupling. These include the numerical aperture of the fiber, the quality of the optics used, and the alignment between the image and the fiber core. Additionally, the type of fiber used also plays a role in the efficiency of coupling. For example, single-mode fibers are more suitable for coupling small images, while multimode fibers are better for larger images.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification.

Best,

Related to Optics - reduce image and launch into optical fiber

1. How does reducing an image help with launching into an optical fiber?

Reducing an image is important in order to fit the image into the small diameter of an optical fiber. By reducing the image, it can be focused into a smaller area and therefore fit into the fiber more easily.

2. What are the benefits of launching an image into an optical fiber?

Launching an image into an optical fiber allows for long distance transmission of the image without loss of quality. It also eliminates the need for bulky and expensive traditional cables.

3. How is an image launched into an optical fiber?

An image can be launched into an optical fiber using a lens system or by coupling the fiber directly to the source of the image. The image is then transmitted through the fiber using total internal reflection.

4. What is the role of optics in reducing and launching images into optical fibers?

Optics plays a crucial role in reducing and launching images into optical fibers. Lenses and other optical components are used to focus and shape the image before it is launched into the fiber. Optics also help to maintain the quality of the image during transmission.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in reducing and launching images into optical fibers?

One limitation is that the image can lose some quality when it is reduced and launched into the fiber. Additionally, the alignment of the optics and the fiber must be precise in order to achieve optimal transmission. This can be challenging, especially for larger images and longer distances.