Optics question, locate mirror and its focal length

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement and characteristics of an image created by a spherical mirror using a meter stick. The object is 10 cm tall and placed at the zero mark, while the image is upright, 4 cm tall, and located at the 42 cm mark. The conversation also mentions the equation 1/do + 1/di = 1/f and the attempt at finding the mirror's location and focal length through drawing rays.
SlothNast

Homework Statement

"An object 10 cm tall is placed at the zero mark of a meter stick. A spherical mirror located at some point on the meter stick creates an image of the object that is upright, 4 cm tall, and located at the 42 cm mark of the meter stick. Where is the mirror located and what is the focal length?"

Homework Equations

1/do + 1/di = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far?

Well I've determined it must be a convex mirror, for the upright and miniature image. I have drawn a few rays from the real 10 cm object to the 4 cm image, but I am not sure how to find the location of the mirror and its focal point from that.

What rays in particular have you tried? Just two rays is enough.

To solve this problem, we can use the mirror equation which states that the inverse of the object distance (do) plus the inverse of the image distance (di) is equal to the inverse of the focal length (f). We can set up this equation as follows:

1/10 + 1/di = 1/f

We know that the image distance is 42 cm, so we can substitute that into the equation:

1/10 + 1/42 = 1/f

Solving for f, we get a focal length of 30 cm. This means that the mirror is located 30 cm away from the object, which is equivalent to the 30 cm mark on the meter stick.

Therefore, the mirror is located at the 30 cm mark on the meter stick and its focal length is 30 cm. This information can be used to determine the type of mirror (convex or concave) and the magnification of the image.

Related to Optics question, locate mirror and its focal length

1. What is the purpose of locating the mirror in an optics question?

The mirror is a key component in many optics questions, as it can be used to reflect light and create images.

2. How do I locate the mirror in an optics question?

The mirror can be located by identifying the reflective surface in the given scenario or by looking for keywords such as "mirror" or "reflection" in the question.

3. What information is needed to determine the focal length of a mirror?

To determine the focal length of a mirror, you will need the distance between the mirror and the object, as well as the distance between the mirror and the image created by the reflected light.

4. How do I calculate the focal length of a mirror?

The focal length of a mirror can be calculated using the formula: 1/f = 1/di + 1/do, where f is the focal length, di is the distance between the mirror and the image, and do is the distance between the mirror and the object.

5. Is the focal length of a mirror always positive?

No, the focal length of a mirror can be positive or negative depending on the type of mirror and the location of the object in relation to the mirror. A positive focal length means the image is real and inverted, while a negative focal length means the image is virtual and upright.