Optics question - Don't know if anyone can help

• Thread starter randybryan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, The person is struggling with a question about optics and is seeking help without needing to draw anything. They mention using Snell's law and trying to find the answer in terms of θ. They also mention the angle γ and how it adds another variable to the problem. The other person gives a hint to use geometry and to draw an auxiliary vertical line through the point where the ray strikes the wall of the cone. The person realizes their mistake and thanks the other person for the help.
randybryan
I've attached a screenshot of the question, and I have to admit I'm really struggling. I don't know if anyone will be able to help as optics is very diagram-dependent, but perhaps you can give me a hint without needing to draw anything.

I'm stuck on (ii) a)

The first thing I did was use Snell's law to give sin(α)=n sin(β), and that's about as far as I've got in progress. I realize I need to get sin(β) in terms of θ, but nothing I seem to do can get me the answer. Do I need to consider the angle γ as well? I know that n sinγ≈ 1, but I'm just adding another variable to the problem!

(I have an exam soon, hence the sudden influx of questions)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 16.42.49.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 16.42.49.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

See if you can use just geometry to relate the angles β, γ, and θ.

Hint: It might be helpful to draw an auxiliary vertical line through the point where the ray strikes the wall of the cone.

Of course! I put the line in every other place but there. Thanks for the help

Related to Optics question - Don't know if anyone can help

1. What is optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the instruments used to detect and manipulate it.

2. What are the different types of optics?

The main types of optics are geometric optics, which describes light as rays, physical optics, which deals with the wave-like nature of light, and quantum optics, which involves the study of light at the quantum level.

3. How do lenses work in optics?

Lenses work by bending light rays as they pass through the lens material, causing them to converge or diverge. This bending is determined by the shape and curvature of the lens surface.

4. What is the role of optics in technology?

Optics plays a crucial role in technology, as it is used in a wide range of devices such as cameras, telescopes, microscopes, and lasers. It also has applications in telecommunications, medicine, and various other fields.

5. How does light behave in different mediums?

The behavior of light in different mediums depends on their optical properties, such as refractive index and absorption. Light can be reflected, refracted, or absorbed as it passes through different materials, leading to various phenomena such as color dispersion and total internal reflection.