Optics Problem - light passing through 3 mediums

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the angle 'alpha-external' between the top surface of a glass plate and the direction at which light will emerge from the glass plate when light propagates from water into air and is incident on the water surface at the angle of total internal reflection. The formula (n-water)(sin(Theta-water)) = (n-glass)(sin(theta-glass)), (n-glass)(sin(theta-glass)) = (n-air)(sin(theta-air)) is used to calculate this angle, and the value of (theta-air) is found to be 48.75 degrees. However, if the refractive index of the glass plate is changed to 1.2, 1.4,
mrmonkah
1. Light propagating from water into air is incident on the water surface at the angle of total internal reflection. (a-int = 48.75 degrees) A plane parallel glass plate (n-glass = 1.5) is brought into contact with the surface of the water. Calculate the angle 'alpha-external' (a-ext for notation simplicity) between the top surface of the glass plate and the direction at which the light will emerge from the glass plate.

n-air = 1
n-water = 1.33
n-glass = 1.5

2. (n-water)(sin(Theta-water)) = (n-glass)(sin(theta-glass)), (n-glass)(sin(theta-glass)) = (n-air)(sin(theta-air))
3. I have combined the two equations to get:

sin(theta-air) = (n-air/n-water)sin(a-int)

where by not needing to take into account the refractive index n-glass. this gives me a value of:

(theta-air) = 48.75, so 90-(theta-air) = a-ext = 41.25

I have then made the calculations separately for each barrier and came out with a value of 1.1 for a-ext? Could anyone verify if either of these solutions are correct?

The question then goes on to ask what happens if (n-glass) = 1.2, 1.4 and 2. So i presume i must take into consideration the glass block overall, and my first attempt at combining the 2 snell equations is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
2. (n-water)(sin(Theta-water)) = (n-glass)(sin(theta-glass)), (n-glass)(sin(theta-glass)) = (n-air)(sin(theta-air))
This formula is correct.

Related to Optics Problem - light passing through 3 mediums

1. How does light behave when passing through 3 mediums?

When light passes through multiple mediums, it can undergo refraction, reflection, absorption, or scattering, depending on the properties of each medium. The angle of refraction and the speed of light may also change as it passes through the mediums.

2. What is the difference between refraction and reflection?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, while reflection is the bouncing back of light when it hits a surface. Refraction causes the light to change direction, while reflection does not.

3. What factors affect the amount of refraction when light passes through multiple mediums?

The amount of refraction depends on the angle of incidence, the difference in the refractive indices of the mediums, and the wavelength of the light. The greater the angle of incidence and difference in refractive indices, the more refraction will occur. Shorter wavelengths also experience more refraction.

4. How does the refractive index of a medium affect the speed of light?

The refractive index of a medium is a measure of how much the speed of light changes when passing through that medium. The higher the refractive index, the slower the speed of light. Generally, the denser the medium, the higher its refractive index will be.

5. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction are related by Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two mediums. This relationship helps determine the direction and amount of refraction when light passes through multiple mediums.