Optics, lenses, and light reflection

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's project of building a laser range finder and their lack of knowledge in optics. They mention their requirements for lens assemblies and seek help with calculating the amount of reflected light. Another person joins in and discusses various factors such as distance accuracy, wavelength, and speed of acquisition. The conversation also touches on the speaker's use of electronics and their plans to sell the project. Ultimately, the speaker shares their progress on their blog.
Ray_Xu
Hi, I'm new to this place, and I'm not sure if my problem fits with this forum, but I'll give it a try.

Right now, I'm building a laser range finder, but my biggest concern will be focusing the reflected laser beam onto a small silicon photodiode. And to add to that, I have barely any knowledge in optics except for the types of lenses, and some terms used in optics. It would be best if there is some manufacturer/distributor that sells lens assemblies (custom or standard). Here are my requirements, so
far:

1. diameter: between/equal 5 inches and 2 inches 2. type: convex, or a lens assembly to focus light 3. no filtering (for now).
4. can be focused by using a rotating motion (such as those on a nikon D70 camera)

Also, I'm having trouble on calculating the amount of reflected light if I were to fire a laser beam at a white surface. Can anyone help me on this?

Ray Xu

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
You are untaking a project that is going to be extremely difficult, given your level of preparation. At least look around and see what information about range finders is out there (e.g. principles of operation). For example, what is your requirement for distance accuracy? What wavelength? Field of view? Speed of acquisition?

Focusing the (reflected) light onto a photodiode is the least of your problems.

Andy Resnick said:
You are untaking a project that is going to be extremely difficult, given your level of preparation. At least look around and see what information about range finders is out there (e.g. principles of operation). For example, what is your requirement for distance accuracy? What wavelength? Field of view? Speed of acquisition?

Focusing the (reflected) light onto a photodiode is the least of your problems.

I already have all the electronics and everything planned out and to be simulated (electronics is basically my living). The only part where I really lack is optics; which I need to patch it up before I can move on.

If you make the laser source confocal with the photodiode, then your problem is solved. Use whatever lens system you use to launch and steer the source to collect and focus the return signal.

Interesting and good Science Fair project. How long a distance do you want to range? What time resolution do you want? What are properties of the photodiode - speed (risetime), sensitive area, noise, etc? What are the properties of the laser- pulse length, joules, wavelength, divergence?

Bob S said:
Interesting and good Science Fair project. How long a distance do you want to range? What time resolution do you want? What are properties of the photodiode - speed (risetime), sensitive area, noise, etc? What are the properties of the laser- pulse length, joules, wavelength, divergence?

Actually, this isn't a science fair project (although I did enter part of my project into the science fair). This is my hobby and I plan to sell it to some major company to mass produce it. To answer your questions, the range I'm aiming for is from one or two inches to 100 feet. Accuracy will depend on the range setting (nature of the phase detector's design). I'm using a avalanche photodiode in my receiver circuit from Hamamatsu; costs $80 (pretty cheap but yet its perfect for my application). Right now, I'm using a prototype laser module that is 659nm in wavelength, 3.5mW maximum output power, and modulation capable; bought it from Meredith Instruments.

Edit: and I have a blog here if you are interested in my progress on it; http://rayxublogs.blogspot.com/ (yes I have bad English)

Related to Optics, lenses, and light reflection

1. What is the difference between a convex and concave lens?

A convex lens is thicker in the middle and causes light rays to converge, while a concave lens is thinner in the middle and causes light rays to diverge.

2. How do lenses form images?

Lenses form images by refracting, or bending, light rays as they pass through the lens. The light rays then converge or diverge to form an image on the other side of the lens.

3. How does light reflect off of different surfaces?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which light hits a surface, is equal to the angle of reflection, or the angle at which the light bounces off the surface. This is known as the law of reflection.

4. What is the difference between diffused and specular reflection?

Diffused reflection occurs when light rays hit a rough surface and reflect in many different directions, creating a scattered or blurred image. Specular reflection occurs when light rays hit a smooth surface and reflect in a single direction, creating a clear image.

5. How does light behave when passing through different mediums?

When light passes through a denser medium, such as water or glass, it will slow down and change direction. This is known as refraction. The amount of refraction depends on the density of the medium and the angle at which the light enters.