[optics] How to transport light/image in narrow tube

In summary: I think you're thinking of a telescope. A small telescope can be used to look at things up close, but wouldn't be powerful enough to project an image. And a webcam and mini projector would not be powerful enough to project an image either.Thanks for the input.
gregMontreal
Hello there!
I'm new on the forum and english is not my first language.
I'm working on an art project and I wonder if there's any mean by which I can transport the light from an illuminated scene across a small tube (let say not larger than 5 cm in diameter) and over some distance (let say 2 meters) and restitute that light on a large mirror.
Please see my image below.
Thank you!

optics-problem.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
gregMontreal said:
Hello there!
I'm working on an art project and I wonder if there's any mean by which I can transport the light from an illuminated scene across a small tube (let say not larger than 5 cm in diameter) and over some distance (let say 2 meters) and restitute that light on a large mirror.
Thank you!

View attachment 94708
Welcome to the PF.

Are you familiar with fiber optic bundles? I'm not sure you will get a very bright final image, however...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/optmod/fibopt.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/optmod/imgopm/fibop2.gif
fibop2.gif

Thank you. I've read about those, I think the final image would be pixelated. I need the final image to be perfect, as if a direct reflexion on a mirror.
I've just read about rod lenses, I think it's my best bet for the moment. Are you familiar with those?
My other question would be, how to "expand" the final image on a large surface (on a mirror, to preserve 3D ?).

How far do you want to transmit this image? I.e. how long is the rod?

If the distance is short I would probably get two cheap, low powered telescopes and put them eyepiece to eyepiece. The beam in between the eyepieces should be collimated and therefore perform the same job as your rod.

Unless your system is perfect and the resultant image is the same size as the original you will loose brightness.

However, far simpler would be a digital camera one end and a projector the other.

Thanks Bandit.
The rod could measure between 300 and 100mm (the longer the better).
I am right to think that collimated light wouldn't preserve parallax? I.e. when I look in a mirror, the reflection appears in 3D. If light is collimated before reaching the final mirror, would it still appears in 3D?

Can you use a webcam and mini projector?

The internet is just a series of tubes anyway!

BoB

gregMontreal said:
Hello there!
Thank you!

View attachment 94708

The only real way to do as you envision is to fill the tube with a bunch of relay lenses, and since you are not a lens designer this will result in a horribly aberrated final image.

Thanks for your input Andy. So rod lenses couldn't work? I could buy a borescope and use the middle section.

kUJ66sM.jpg

gregMontreal said:
Thanks for your input Andy. So rod lenses couldn't work? I could buy a borescope and use the middle section.

Sure, a borescope/endoscope/etc could work, but modern ones simply put a small camera at the end. Old-timey ones, AFAIK, don't extend much beyond a foot or so.

Related to [optics] How to transport light/image in narrow tube

1. How does light travel through a narrow tube?

Light travels through a narrow tube by reflecting off the inner walls of the tube. The tube acts as a waveguide, containing the light and directing it towards the end of the tube.

2. What is the best material for transporting light in a narrow tube?

The best material for transporting light in a narrow tube is one that has a high reflectivity and low absorption. Materials such as polished metal or glass are commonly used for this purpose.

3. How does the diameter of the tube affect light transport?

The diameter of the tube affects light transport by determining how many reflections occur before the light reaches the end of the tube. A larger diameter allows for more reflections, resulting in better light transport.

4. Can light be transported in a curved tube?

Yes, light can be transported in a curved tube. As long as the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, the light will continue to reflect off the inner walls of the tube, even if it is curved.

5. Are there any limitations to transporting light in a narrow tube?

There are some limitations to transporting light in a narrow tube. The tube must be smooth and free from imperfections to ensure proper reflection. Additionally, the length of the tube may also affect the efficiency of light transport.