How Do You Find the Object Position for an Upright Image in a Concave Mirror?

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a problem involving a concave mirror with a focal length of 40 cm. The problem asked for the object position that would result in an upright image that is four times the size of the object. The equation (1/do)+(1/di)=1/f and the relationship between do and di were discussed, along with the addition of another equation, m= -di/do. It was suggested to solve the system of equations to find the values of do and di, which were found to be 30 cm and -120 cm, respectively. The second part of the problem, which asked to construct a ray diagram for the situation, was not discussed.
elementozzy
So I originally posted a thread for my optics homework listing every question from a worksheet AND my attempts. Apparently, it's seen as spam so I have tried and am now posting the second question.

Homework Statement

A concave mirror has a focal length of 40 cm. Determine the object position for which the resulting image is upright and four times the size of the object. Construct a ray diagram for this situation.

GIVEN DATA
Focal length= 40 c.m

Homework Equations

(1/do)+(1/di)=1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't really attempt it because I barely have any information. How can I determine the object position with only the focal length.

And what exactly are do and di?

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens to the light as it passes through the mirror?

lens*

elementozzy
do and di usually mean the distance from the object to the vertex of the mirror and the distance of the image to the vertex of the mirror, respectively.

Try something now.

Also, do you know how the relation between do and di is related to the ratio between the height of the object and the height of its image?BiGyeILoWhAt
Why did you "correct" your post to lens? You could just have edited your first post.
Also, according to what the problem states, it is a mirror.

Lol yea I did, I don't know why, I was at work, and posted in a hurry, I guess I thought I misread it. Oh well.

Well I'm attempting to first fill in the equations that I have with as much data as possible.

Also, I forgot to add in another equation. m= -di/do

So I now have

(1/do)+(1/di)= 1/40

and since the magnification is 4x ("four times the size of the object")

I have 4= -di/do

what now?

Oh!

Maybe, do I set up a system of equations?

Just tried that----- came up with nothing...

About the system of equations. It is the right way to go.

ALSO, you have 2 different equations and 2 variables to solve for. Just go for it, everything you posted is correct.

You should definitely learn how to solve a system simple as that.

It is for your own good. It is not a matter of ours.

[tex]\begin{cases}\frac{1}{d_o}+\frac{1}{d_i}=\frac{1}{40}\\4=-\frac{d_i}{d_o}\end{cases}[/tex]
[tex]4=-\frac{d_i}{d_o}\Rightarrow{}d_i=-4d_o[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{d_o}-\frac{1}{4d_o}=\frac{1}{40}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{3}{4d_o}=\frac{1}{40}\Rightarrow{}4d_o=120\Rightarrow{}d_o=30[/tex]
[tex]d_i=-4(30)=-120[/tex]

Then, give the answer with the proper dimensions.

[tex]\begin{cases}d_o=30\;\text{cm}\\d_i=-120\;\text{cm}\end{cases}[/tex]

Thanks but I'm not sure how to apporach the second part of the question...

"Construct a ray diagram for this situation."

Related to How Do You Find the Object Position for an Upright Image in a Concave Mirror?

1. What are the basic principles of optics?

The basic principles of optics include reflection, refraction, diffraction, and interference. Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, while refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums. Diffraction is the bending of light around an object, and interference is the combination of two or more light waves to create a new wave.

2. How do lenses work?

Lenses work by refracting light, causing it to either converge or diverge. Convex lenses, also known as converging lenses, bring light rays together to form an image, while concave lenses, also known as diverging lenses, spread out light rays to create a smaller, virtual image.

3. What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is an image that can be projected onto a screen, while a virtual image is an image that cannot be projected and only appears to be in a certain location. Real images are formed by converging lenses, while virtual images are formed by diverging lenses.

4. How is light affected by different materials?

Light can be absorbed, transmitted, or reflected when it passes through different materials. The amount of light that is absorbed, transmitted, or reflected depends on the material's properties, such as its color, density, and opacity.

5. What are some real-world applications of optics?

Optics has a wide range of real-world applications, including in the design of eyeglasses, telescopes, and microscopes. It is also used in various industries, such as telecommunications, medicine, and photography. In addition, optics plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies, such as lasers, fiber optics, and solar cells.