Optics from a Quantum Mechanical stand point

In summary, light is a wave and it interacts with matter as a wave. The matter has a collective excited state known as a phonon that also behaves as a wave. Lower energy photons are repelled by the phonons (somehow?). Like energy photons are absorbed like canceling waveforms. Higher engery photons pass through the material, but are refracted through a kind of wave interference.
SquidgyGuff
I've tried looking this up online, but people only ever talk about the basic principles and formulas involved instead of the concepts behind it. My question is this: "What is happening at a quantum level when light is refracted or reflected?" How does the light interact with the atoms of medium "x" (as it moves between media of differing refractive indicies) that causes it to behave in such a way. I appreciate your insight in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
See the FAQ:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511177

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
So I need to think of the photons as waves interacting with waves (phonons)? Here's where I'm at:

Photons interact with matter (in this case) as a wave.
The matter has a collective excited state known as a phonon that also behaves as a wave.
Lower energy photons are repelled by the phonons (somehow?).
Like energy photons are absorbed like canceling waveforms.
Higher engery photons pass through the material, but are refracted through a kind of wave interference.

How wrong am I?

Last edited:
I like the following description of it: Hagan course notes

It's from a course, and chapter 1 has a fairly intuitive walk-through of the origins of the refractive index which I think you'll find useful.

SquidgyGuff said:
So I need to think of the photons as waves interacting with waves (phonons)?

Phonons are more important in the infrared region. In visual optics, electronic excitations are much more important.
It is often helpful to think of the atoms or molecules making up a solid as little electric dipoles. These will experience the electric field of the incident wave and will start to oscillate, thereby producing a changing electromagnetic field themselves. This scattered field overlaps with the incident field and gives rise to the refracted wave.

Zarqon said:
I like the following description of it: Hagan course notes
Umm, that's a broken link, and in Swedish ha ha! X)

SquidgyGuff said:
Umm, that's a broken link, and in Swedish ha ha! X)

That's strange, the link works for me (even now clicking it from your quoted post). Maybe try http://www.osti.gov/eprints/topicpages/documents/record/227/4250003.html instead, which is to the course page. The first link on that page should be to the pdf that I tried to link before.

Zarqon said:
Maybe try http://www.osti.gov/eprints/topicpages/documents/record/227/4250003.html instead, which is to the course page.
Okay, that one worked, thanks :)
I suppose I should brush up on my nonexistent knowledge of field theory then

Related to Optics from a Quantum Mechanical stand point

1. What is the relationship between optics and quantum mechanics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, while quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of matter on a very small scale. The relationship between these two fields is that quantum mechanics provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of light, which is necessary for understanding optics at a microscopic level.

2. How does quantum mechanics explain the behavior of light?

Quantum mechanics explains the behavior of light by treating it as a particle called a photon, which has both wave-like and particle-like properties. This theory explains phenomena such as the photoelectric effect, where light can knock electrons out of a material, and the double-slit experiment, where light behaves as both a wave and a particle.

3. What is the role of entanglement in quantum optics?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two particles become connected in a way that their properties are dependent on each other, even when separated by large distances. In quantum optics, entanglement is used to create pairs of photons with correlated properties, which can be used for applications such as quantum cryptography and quantum teleportation.

4. How does quantum mechanics impact the design of optical devices?

Quantum mechanics has a significant impact on the design of optical devices. For example, it allows for the development of technologies such as lasers, which rely on the quantum behavior of atoms and photons. Also, the principles of quantum mechanics are used to design and optimize devices such as lenses, mirrors, and optical fibers.

5. What are some current research areas in quantum optics?

Some current research areas in quantum optics include quantum computing, quantum sensing, and quantum communication. Scientists are also exploring the use of quantum optics in areas such as quantum metrology, quantum imaging, and quantum materials. Additionally, there is ongoing research into the development of new optical devices and technologies based on quantum principles.