Optics - Find the location of object

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, the focal length of the lens would be 90/4 cm if the object is behind the mirror and 67.5 cm if the object is in front of the mirror.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A concave mirror of focal length 30 cm is placed on the flat horizontal surface with its concave side up. Water with refractive index 1.33 is poured into the lens. Where should an object be placed if its image is to be captured on a screen with a magnification of 2.

Ans: 67.5 cm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached a sketch of the given problem. I assume that the downward direction is positive.

The water poured acts as a plano-convex lens. The lens with the concave mirror acts a mirror and the focal length (##f_e##) of this combination is given by:
$$\frac{1}{f_e}=\frac{1}{f_m}-\frac{2}{f_L}$$
where ##f_m## is the focal length of mirror and ##f_L## is focal length of lens.

Calculating focal length of lens:
$$\frac{1}{f_L}=\left(\frac{4}{3}-1\right)\left(\frac{1}{\infty}-\frac{1}{R}\right)$$
where R is the radius of the convex part of lens and I have also approximated 1.33 as 4/3.
Also ##R=2f_m##, hence
$$\frac{1}{f_L}=-\frac{1}{6f_m}$$
Therefore,
$$\frac{1}{f_e}=\frac{4}{3f_m}$$
Since ##f_m=-30\, cm##, ##f_e=-90/4 \, cm##.
The given combination works like a concave mirror. As the image is to be captured on a screen, the image must be real and hence the magnification (m) is -2. For a mirror,
$$m=\frac{-v}{u} \Rightarrow -2=\frac{-v}{u} \Rightarrow v=2u$$
where v is the image distance and u is the object distance from the combination.
$$\frac{1}{v}+\frac{1}{u}=\frac{1}{f_e} \Rightarrow \frac{3}{2u}=\frac{-4}{90}$$
Solving for u gives u=-135/4 cm which is wrong.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• optics2.png
    optics2.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
You have chosen a distance positive if it is behind the mirror. The object is put in front of the mirror, and the final image is also in front of the mirror. It would have more sense to take these distances positive.

As for the absolute value of u, I got exactly the same result as you.

ehild

ehild said:
As for the absolute value of u, I got exactly the same result as you.

ehild

Does this mean that the given answer is wrong?

I am not sure, but it might be wrong.

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
I am not sure, but it might be wrong.

ehild

I am sure you are right, I have often seen wrong answers in the book I am using.

Thanks for the check ehild! :smile:

Related to Optics - Find the location of object

1. How does optics help us find the location of an object?

Optics is the study of light and its behavior, which includes how it interacts with objects and how it is perceived by our eyes. By understanding the principles of optics, we can use tools such as lenses and mirrors to manipulate light and gather information about the location of an object.

2. What is the difference between real and virtual images in optics?

In optics, a real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, whereas a virtual image is formed when light rays only appear to converge at a point due to the way they are reflected or refracted. Real images can be projected onto a screen, while virtual images cannot.

3. How do we calculate the location of an object using optics?

The location of an object can be calculated using the principles of geometric optics, which involve measuring distances and angles between the object and a lens or mirror. By using equations such as the thin lens equation, we can determine the position and size of the image formed by the lens or mirror and then calculate the location of the object.

4. Can optics help us see objects that are too far away to be seen with the naked eye?

Yes, optics can help us see objects that are too far away to be seen with the naked eye by using tools such as telescopes. Telescopes use multiple lenses to gather and magnify light from distant objects, making them appear closer and more visible.

5. Are there any limitations to using optics to find the location of an object?

Yes, there are some limitations to using optics to find the location of an object. Factors such as atmospheric conditions, the quality of the lens or mirror being used, and the size and distance of the object can all affect the accuracy of the location determined. Additionally, optics cannot be used to locate objects that do not emit or reflect light, such as non-luminous objects in a dark room.