Optics, Diffraction Homework: Intensity Expression on Far Screen

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a square aperture and a He-Ne laser. The question asks for the expression of intensity on a far screen and the ratio of intensities for the first four maximae. The person is stuck on the problem and is seeking resources to help them understand diffraction and Fourier Optics. They also mention wanting to explore similar problems with different shapes in the aperture.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

On a screen there's a square aperture (hole) whose sides are 2a lengthy. We put a square of lengths a in the center of the hole. We illuminate the aperture with an He-Ne laser ([tex]\lambda =632.8 nm[/tex]). We put a screen far from the screen with the square aperture, so that we can deal with Fraunhofer's diffraction.
1)Give the expression of the intensity on the far screen.
2)I'm not sure of the other questions but I think they were asking more or less the ratio of the intensities of the first 4 maximae or so.

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

Totally stuck on this. Of course I don't except an answer to the question here, rather what method should I investigate. I have Hecht's book on Optics at my disposition but I find it very hard to learn the diffraction and Fourier Optics chapters. I have no knowledge on Fourier (anti) transforms, but I have all the prerequisites to learn it.
Do you have any book/website that can help me for this problem?
Also I'd like to "play" and solve similar problems like what happens if I have a circle as a hole in the screen and I put a square inside of it... a triangle, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've checked everything I could find on the web, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Do you have any idea? Thanks a lot in advance!

Related to Optics, Diffraction Homework: Intensity Expression on Far Screen

What is optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the instruments used to detect and measure it.

What is diffraction?

Diffraction is the phenomenon of a wave bending and spreading out as it passes through an opening or around an obstacle. In optics, it refers to the bending of light as it passes through a narrow slit or around the edges of an object.

What is intensity expression on a far screen?

The intensity expression on a far screen is a mathematical formula used to calculate the intensity of light at different points on a screen located far away from the source of light. It takes into account the distance between the source and the screen, as well as the properties of the light and the medium it is passing through.

How is intensity expression on a far screen related to diffraction?

Intensity expression on a far screen is related to diffraction because the diffraction of light causes the intensity of light to vary at different points on the far screen. The expression takes into account the effects of diffraction on the light waves as they travel from the source to the screen.

How is the intensity expression on a far screen used in practical applications?

The intensity expression on a far screen is used in various practical applications, such as designing optical instruments, analyzing diffraction patterns, and understanding the behavior of light in different environments. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, microscopy, and telecommunications.