Optics: Design of Beamsplitter Ge on KBr substrate

In summary, the conversation was about creating a beam splitter for an FTIR using KBr crystal windows and Ge coating through physical vapor deposition. The person was unsure about the thickness needed for the coating and how to split the HeNe laser, and another person suggested using the transfer matrix method to solve Fresnel's equations.
SupaVillain
Hi there, I am making a beam splitter for an FTIR, but I do not know the anatomy of a beamsplitter of this type, does anybody have information on the design of these?

I plan to order KBr crystal windows and apply the Ge coating myself using physical vapor deposition and assuring quality with a calo tester. I just don't know how thick i need it and how i get it to actually split the HeNe laser

Science news on Phys.org

Related to Optics: Design of Beamsplitter Ge on KBr substrate

1. What is a beamsplitter?

A beamsplitter is an optical device that divides an incoming beam of light into two or more beams. It reflects a portion of the light while transmitting the remaining portion, allowing for the splitting or combining of light beams.

2. What is the design of a beamsplitter made of Ge on KBr substrate?

The design of a beamsplitter made of Ge on KBr substrate refers to the specific materials and structure used to create the beamsplitter. In this case, the beamsplitter is made of germanium (Ge) on a potassium bromide (KBr) substrate, which allows for efficient splitting and combining of light beams.

3. What are the advantages of using a Ge-on-KBr substrate for a beamsplitter?

A Ge-on-KBr substrate offers several advantages for a beamsplitter. It has a high refractive index, making it ideal for splitting light beams. It also has a low absorption coefficient, allowing for minimal loss of light intensity. Additionally, it has a wide transmission range, making it suitable for use with a variety of wavelengths of light.

4. How is the design of a beamsplitter made of Ge on KBr substrate optimized?

The design of a beamsplitter made of Ge on KBr substrate can be optimized through precise control of the thickness of the germanium layer and the angle of incidence of the light beam. By adjusting these parameters, the reflection and transmission of the beamsplitter can be optimized for maximum efficiency.

5. What applications are beamsplitters made of Ge on KBr substrate commonly used for?

Beamsplitters made of Ge on KBr substrate are commonly used in a variety of applications, including spectroscopy, interferometry, and laser systems. They are also used in imaging systems, such as microscopes and telescopes, to split and redirect light beams for better visualization and analysis.