Optics and a thin wedge

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the number of interference fringes per centimetre when a wedge-shaped film of air is placed between two pieces of glass and light of a specific wavelength is incident normally on the glass. The small-angle approximation is used to calculate the thickness of the air wedge at a distance x from the point of contact of the glass plates and the number of fringes per unit length is determined using the formula 2θ/λ. The conversation also considers the distance of the viewing screen from the source and the calculation of the fringe width.
Malby
I'm having trouble understanding this problem. I think I'm missing something or misunderstanding the question:

A wedge-shaped film of air is made by placing a small slip of paper between the edges of two pieces of glass as shown below. Light of wave-length 600nm is incident normally on the glass, and interference fringes are observed by reection. If the angle Theta made by the plates is 3x10^-4 rad, how many interference fringes per centimetre are observed? (Hint: Use the small-angle approximation Theta = t/x.)

My thinking is that there is a path difference of 3x10^-4 rad and it is similar to a double slit experiment (or single slit experiment) causing interference on a screen some distance L away. However we haven't been given any such distance.

Here is a diagram: http://i.imgur.com/KX1C4.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Ηι Malby, welcome to PF.

The condition for the constructive interference is

2*t = m*λ, where t is the thickness of the air wedge at a distance x from the point of contact of the glass plates.

t/x = θ. So 2*x*θ = m*λ.

Hence the number of fringes per unit length = m = 2*x*θ/λ.

In this case isn't m the fringe number and not the fringe number per unit length? I stumbled upon another answer that said m/x was 2*theta/Lambda which gives you a value. I'm not sure about that though because surely you need to know the distance the "viewing screen" (in this case the glass) is away from the source.

Malby said:
In this case isn't m the fringe number and not the fringe number per unit length? I stumbled upon another answer that said m/x was 2*theta/Lambda which gives you a value. I'm not sure about that though because surely you need to know the distance the "viewing screen" (in this case the glass) is away from the source.

2*x*θ = m*λ.

If β is the fringe width ( distance between successive bright or dark fringes) then

2*(x+β)*θ = (m+1)λ

So β = λ/(2θ)

And number of fringes per unit length is

1/β = 2θ/λ

I can understand how this problem may seem confusing at first. However, the key to solving this problem is to understand the concept of thin films and how they interact with light. In this case, the thin wedge of air between the two glass plates acts as a thin film, causing interference patterns when light passes through it.

To solve this problem, we can use the small-angle approximation, which states that for small angles, the tangent of the angle is approximately equal to the angle itself. In this case, we can approximate the angle Theta as t/x, where t is the thickness of the wedge and x is the distance between the two glass plates.

Next, we need to understand how interference fringes are formed in a thin film. When light passes through a thin film, some of it is reflected from the top surface while some is transmitted through and reflected from the bottom surface. These two reflected beams then interfere with each other, creating a pattern of bright and dark fringes.

To calculate the number of fringes per centimeter, we need to use the formula m = (2t/lambda) * cos(Theta), where m is the number of fringes, t is the thickness of the film, and lambda is the wavelength of light. In this case, we are given the wavelength (600nm) and the angle (Theta = 3x10^-4 rad), so we can solve for the number of fringes.

In summary, to solve this problem, we need to use the small-angle approximation and the formula for calculating the number of fringes in a thin film. By understanding these concepts and applying them to the given scenario, we can find the number of interference fringes per centimeter and better understand the behavior of light in this setup.

Related to Optics and a thin wedge

What is optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of light, including its interactions with matter and the instruments used to detect and manipulate it.

What is a thin wedge in optics?

A thin wedge in optics refers to a thin, triangular-shaped piece of material, such as glass or plastic, with two flat surfaces that meet at a small angle. It is often used in optical experiments and devices to produce controlled changes in the direction of light.

What is the law of refraction?

The law of refraction, also known as Snell's law, states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two mediums. This law explains how light changes direction when it passes through different materials.

How does a thin wedge affect the path of light?

A thin wedge can cause the path of light to be bent or refracted due to the change in the angle at which the light enters and exits the wedge. The amount of bending depends on the angle of the wedge and the refractive index of the material it is made of.

What are some practical uses of thin wedges in optics?

Thin wedges have several practical applications in optics, including creating interference patterns, measuring small angles and changes in refractive index, and producing polarized light. They are also used in the manufacturing of precision optical instruments and lenses.