Optics | Amplitude of Electric Field Given Radiant Flux Density

In summary, the amplitude of the electric field of the laser beam is 4.47*1011 V/m2, as determined using the given radiant flux density and the irradiance equation.
heycoa

Homework Statement

A laser provides pulses of EM radiation in vacuum lasting 7.47* 10-12 s. If the radiant flux
density is 2.65 * 1020 W/m2, determine the amplitude of the electric field (x *1011) of the beam. Units are required as listed in instructions.

Homework Equations

Irradiance = c*ε0/2 * E02

The Attempt at a Solution

If I solve for E0, I end up with: 4.47*1011 V/m2. My question is that I did not use the time that the question gave me. All I did was plug into the irradiance equation and solve for E0. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your approach is correct. The irradiance equation only requires the electric field amplitude (E0) and the speed of light (c) to calculate the radiant flux density. The time given in the question is not needed for this calculation. Therefore, your answer of 4.47*1011 V/m2 is correct.

Related to Optics | Amplitude of Electric Field Given Radiant Flux Density

1. What is the relationship between the amplitude of electric field and radiant flux density?

The amplitude of electric field is directly proportional to the square root of the radiant flux density. This means that as the radiant flux density increases, the amplitude of the electric field also increases.

2. How is the amplitude of electric field measured?

The amplitude of electric field can be measured using an instrument called an electric field meter. This meter measures the strength of the electric field in volts per meter (V/m).

3. What factors affect the amplitude of electric field?

The amplitude of electric field can be affected by the distance from the source, the wavelength of the electromagnetic radiation, and the intensity of the radiation. It can also be affected by the material through which the radiation is passing.

4. How does the amplitude of electric field impact the behavior of light?

The amplitude of electric field determines the intensity of light. A higher amplitude means a higher intensity of light, while a lower amplitude means a lower intensity. This can affect the perceived brightness of an object or the amount of energy transferred by the light.

5. Can the amplitude of electric field be manipulated?

Yes, the amplitude of electric field can be manipulated by changing the properties of the electromagnetic radiation, such as its intensity or wavelength. It can also be manipulated by using materials with different electrical properties to alter the behavior of the electric field.