Optical Theremin - Photocell Question

• Thread starter k_squared
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary, the conversation is about building a pocket theremin using a guide from a website. The main question is about the resistance of the photocells needed for the circuit, with the person considering making an educated guess but wanting to build it first. It is mentioned that CdS cells are suitable for this project, as they have a wide range of resistance levels. Other options like phototransistors or photodiodes may also work but may not have the same range.
k_squared
I was endeavouring to build the (almost, at least) Theremin on this page:
http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2008-04/build-pocket-theremin-cheap

However, I was wondering what kind of resistance the photocells should have. I suppose I could work up a better abstract understanding of the circuit and make an educated guess - which would be my ultimate goal - however, I would like the build it first.

Oh, and thanks for any response!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pretty much any CdS cell will work. These range from the high-kOhm to the low MOhm range in total darkness to a few ohms in bright light.

They are often sold now as "light dependent resistors" too. Same thing, new name.

They are not the same as phototransistors or photodiodes though. These may work but will not have the range of resistance levels that a CdS cell will have.

Related to Optical Theremin - Photocell Question

1. What is an optical theremin?

An optical theremin is a musical instrument that uses light to create sound. It consists of a light source and a photocell, which senses changes in light intensity and converts them into electrical signals that can be amplified and turned into sound.

2. How does an optical theremin work?

The light source in an optical theremin emits light that is directed towards the photocell. When an object, such as a hand, interrupts the light beam, the photocell senses a change in light intensity and sends an electrical signal to the amplifier. The amplifier then turns this signal into sound, typically by using different oscillators to create different pitches.

3. What is the difference between an optical theremin and a traditional theremin?

A traditional theremin uses two antennas to sense the position of a player's hands and create sound based on their movements. An optical theremin, on the other hand, uses light and a photocell to sense changes in light intensity and create sound. Additionally, traditional theremins typically have a wider range of notes and more precise control, while optical theremins may have a more limited range and less precise control.

4. Can anyone play an optical theremin?

Yes, anyone can play an optical theremin! It does not require any prior musical experience or knowledge, and is often used as an introduction to electronic music making. However, like any instrument, it does require practice and experimentation to master and create more complex and expressive sounds.

5. What are some potential applications of an optical theremin?

An optical theremin can be used for musical performances, sound effects in movies or TV shows, experimental music making, and even as a teaching tool in science classrooms. It also has potential for use in interactive installations and performances, where the movement of the player's hands can create visual effects or trigger other events.