Optical Phenomena: Key Elements & Assumptions

In summary: However, if you are really interested in this topic and are willing to invest some time, you can find a lot of good information on the Internet. Try looking for online tutorials or articles on the subject.
Catch22meifucan
What are the key elements for an optical phenomenon and what are the underlying basic assumptions? Example: the key elements of flight are lift, drag, thrust and weight/gravity. Also would you please recommend resources I could use to find other people that would be interested in this topic?

Science news on Phys.org
What exactly do you mean by "optical phenomenon?"

From what I understand of your question, my answer would be that the key elements are light-matter interactions.

I guess when i say "optical phenomenon" an "object" that you see that isn't really there. Atmospheric optical phenomenon (rainbow or mirage), Optical effects (aura/halo) or Iridescence(goniochromism)?

Catch22meifucan said:
I guess when i say "optical phenomenon" an "object" that you see that isn't really there. Atmospheric optical phenomenon (rainbow or mirage), Optical effects (aura/halo) or Iridescence(goniochromism)?

OK, so have you researched on how a rainbow is formed, or a sun halo, or a mirage ?

there's masses of info available out there
do some reading and then come back with questions on any thing you don't understand :smile:

Dave

Last edited:
I guess that been my issue. There is so much information out there but nothing that is as specific as I am looking for. If i wanted to create a mirage in my living room is that even possible and what elements would i need to make it possible?

Thanks!

Catch22meifucan said:
There is so much information out there but nothing that is as specific as I am looking for. If i wanted to create a mirage in my living room is that even possible and what elements would i need to make it possible?

OK so google How does a mirage form ?

look at those conditions needed and then decide if it is possible or practical to be able to reproduce those conditions inside at home

Likes sophiecentaur
Catch22meifucan said:
I guess that been my issue. There is so much information out there but nothing that is as specific as I am looking for. If i wanted to create a mirage in my living room is that even possible and what elements would i need to make it possible?

Thanks!
I get the impression that you want to jump into this subject right in the middle without getting to know the basics. There are many ad hoc answers available on the Web for that sort of question but they may well not help you understanding of the real principles involved. There is no easy way into Science.

Likes davenn

Related to Optical Phenomena: Key Elements & Assumptions

1. What is an optical phenomenon?

An optical phenomenon is any observable event that involves light or the interaction of light with matter. It can include things like refraction, reflection, diffraction, and interference.

2. What are the key elements of optical phenomena?

The key elements of optical phenomena are light, the medium through which light travels, and any objects or surfaces that interact with the light. These elements work together to produce the observable effects of optical phenomena.

3. What are the main assumptions made in the study of optical phenomena?

Some of the main assumptions made in the study of optical phenomena include the assumption that light travels in a straight line, the assumption that the speed of light is constant in a vacuum, and the assumption that light behaves as a wave.

4. How do optical phenomena impact our daily lives?

Optical phenomena have a significant impact on our daily lives. They are essential in the functioning of many modern technologies, such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes. They also play a crucial role in our vision and perception of the world around us.

5. Can optical phenomena be explained by the laws of physics?

Yes, optical phenomena can be explained by the laws of physics. The behavior of light and its interaction with matter can be described and predicted using principles from optics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. These laws of physics help us understand and manipulate optical phenomena for various practical applications.