Optical Insanity: Solving the 45km Challenge

• Thread starter neilgregge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary, the conversation was about designing an optical communication system for an assignment. The system had to use multimode cable and send a 12 MHz LED signal 45km without repeater stations. The speaker was concerned about signal losses associated with multimode cable and asked for help. Another person suggested treating the system as an FM radio system and considering the loss between a transmitting and receiving antenna separated by 45km. It was mentioned that 2dB loss per km results in a total loss of 90dB, which has a power ratio of 1 billion to one.
neilgregge
Hello,

I have been given an assignment to design an optical communication system. A 12 MHz LED (laser diode would be too easy) signal has to be sent 45km via optic fibre and read at the other end. Simple enough, you may think. however I have been told that I have to use multimodal cable, and all I have read has said that there are insane signal losses associated with multimode (one place, i read there was 2dB loss for every km, whicc was about 90% after 10km), hence its use primarily for internal networks. As repeater stations along the way are prohibited, I am at a loss (much like my signal) as to how to go about this.

Any help would be appreciated,

Neil

Engineering news on Phys.org
Treat the system as an FM radio system. Think about it. How much loss do we have between a transmitting antenna and a receiving antenna which are separated by 45 Km?

Edit: 2 db per Km is 90 db total. This has an input to output ratio (in power) of 1 billion to one.

Last edited:

Hi Neil,

Designing an optical communication system for a 45km distance can definitely be a challenging task, especially when using multimode cable. As you mentioned, there are significant signal losses associated with multimode, making it difficult to maintain a strong and clear signal over such a long distance. However, there are a few strategies you can use to overcome these challenges and successfully complete the 45km challenge.

Firstly, it's important to carefully select the components of your system. This includes the LED, optic fibre, and any connectors or splices. Make sure to choose high-quality components with low attenuation rates and good compatibility with each other. This will help minimize signal loss and maintain a strong and stable signal throughout the 45km distance.

Another strategy is to use signal amplification. This can be done by incorporating optical amplifiers along the length of the cable. These amplifiers will boost the signal and compensate for any losses, helping to maintain a strong signal until it reaches the other end. However, keep in mind that using amplifiers will also introduce some noise to the signal, so it's important to carefully calibrate and adjust them for optimal performance.

Additionally, using advanced coding techniques such as forward error correction (FEC) can also help improve the performance of your system. FEC adds redundancy to the transmitted signal, allowing for error correction and improving the overall reliability and quality of the signal.

Lastly, proper installation and maintenance of the system are crucial for success. Any bends, kinks, or damage to the optic fibre can significantly impact the signal and cause additional losses. So make sure to handle and install the cable carefully, and regularly inspect and maintain the system to ensure it is functioning at its best.

I hope these strategies help you in solving the 45km challenge. Best of luck with your project!

Related to Optical Insanity: Solving the 45km Challenge

1. What is "Optical Insanity: Solving the 45km Challenge"?

"Optical Insanity: Solving the 45km Challenge" is a scientific experiment that involves using advanced optical technology to solve a challenge of viewing a target 45 kilometers away.

2. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to push the boundaries of optical technology and see if it is possible to successfully view a target 45 kilometers away. This could have potential applications in long-range surveillance and communication systems.

3. How is this experiment conducted?

This experiment involves setting up a target 45 kilometers away and using various optical instruments, such as telescopes and high-powered cameras, to try and view the target. Scientists will also use advanced techniques such as image enhancement and atmospheric correction to improve the quality of the images.

4. What are the challenges of this experiment?

The main challenge of this experiment is overcoming the limitations of atmospheric distortion and turbulence. The Earth's atmosphere can cause distortion and blurring of long-range images, making it difficult to view distant targets. This experiment aims to find solutions to these challenges.

5. What could be the potential outcomes of this experiment?

The potential outcomes of this experiment could include the development of new technologies and techniques for long-range imaging, as well as a better understanding of atmospheric conditions and their effects on optical systems. It could also open up new possibilities for long-range communication and surveillance systems.