Optical drive SSD conversion Mac

In summary, the conversation was about converting the optical drive of a 2012 Macbook Pro into an area to hold an SSD. The person asking was interested in keeping their current HDD and adding an SSD, and wanted to know if anyone had successfully done this and how it affected performance. They also asked if anyone had tried putting separate operating systems on each drive. The poster did not receive any responses, but mentioned that they plan on making the adjustment and will update the thread on the results.
RoundEarVulcan
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if any macbook pro owners have successfully converted the optical drive into an area to hold an SSD. I am planning on keeping my current HDD and adding the SSD. Please let me know how it went and how much it affected the performance.

(2012 MacbookPro non-retina)

Also, have any of you guys tried putting separate operating systems on each drive?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

No, but I plan on making the adjustment to my computer. I will try to remember to update this thread on how it went.

Related to Optical drive SSD conversion Mac

1. What is an optical drive SSD conversion for Mac?

An optical drive SSD conversion for Mac is the process of replacing the existing optical drive (CD/DVD drive) in a Mac computer with a solid-state drive (SSD). This allows for faster data transfer and storage compared to traditional hard drives.

2. Why would someone want to convert their optical drive to SSD on a Mac?

There are a few reasons why someone might want to convert their optical drive to SSD on a Mac. SSDs are faster and more reliable than traditional hard drives, so it can improve overall performance and decrease loading times. Additionally, as technology advances, optical drives are becoming less necessary for most users and can be replaced with a more useful SSD.

3. Is it possible to convert any Mac's optical drive to SSD?

No, not all Macs are capable of having their optical drive converted to SSD. It depends on the model and year of the Mac. Some older models may not have the necessary connections or space to accommodate an SSD. It is important to research your specific Mac model before attempting a conversion.

4. What is the process for converting an optical drive to SSD on a Mac?

The specific process may vary depending on the Mac model, but in general, it involves opening up the Mac, removing the optical drive, and installing the SSD in its place. This may require special tools and technical knowledge, so it is recommended to seek professional help or thoroughly research the process before attempting it yourself.

5. Are there any drawbacks to converting an optical drive to SSD on a Mac?

There are a few potential drawbacks to consider before converting an optical drive to SSD on a Mac. The process may void the warranty of the Mac and may also require additional expenses for tools and professional help. Additionally, the Mac may not be able to use CDs or DVDs anymore unless an external optical drive is purchased. However, for most users, the benefits of an SSD outweigh these potential drawbacks.