Optical Diffraction: Double Slit & Gratings

• Thread starter the riddick25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary, if you want to diffract a beam of light with a specific angle, you need to increase the wavelength.
the riddick25

Homework Statement

first question; Does a double slit also diffract light of different wavelength into different directions?

second question; How would a diffraction grating for cm waves differ from an optical grating?

Homework Equations

sin (theta) = m.Lambda / d

maybe, i am unsure if this is needed or not, i think it is for the 2nd question

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first question, i looked in my book and could not find anything which said that the light of different wavelengths difracted to different locations, but as the formula for the double slit includes the wavelength, i would guess that they would be diffrected to different places, but i am unsure.

second question i couldn't really answer as i don't know what the difference between da diffrection grating and an optical grating is, if someone could tell me, or show me somewhere i can find out then it would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
the riddick25 said:

Homework Statement

first question; Does a double slit also diffract light of different wavelength into different directions?

second question; How would a diffraction grating for cm waves differ from an optical grating?

Homework Equations

sin (theta) = m.Lambda / d

maybe, i am unsure if this is needed or not, i think it is for the 2nd question

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first question, i looked in my book and could not find anything which said that the light of different wavelengths difracted to different locations, but as the formula for the double slit includes the wavelength, i would guess that they would be diffrected to different places, but i am unsure.

second question i couldn't really answer as i don't know what the difference between da diffrection grating and an optical grating is, if someone could tell me, or show me somewhere i can find out then it would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

You are correct; if you increase the wavelength, you can change the angle at which the beam comes out. I found a nice http://phys.educ.ksu.edu/vqm/html/doubleslit/" online that shows how changing the energy (which is proportional to the wavelength) increases or decreases the number of peaks.

Diffraction grating is very much like the double slit experiment, except there are 100's to 1000's of slits for light to pass through. I think all types of grating are considered optical grating as it will affect visible light just as well as infrared and ultraviolet light.
My guess is that it's looking for a comparison of spacing necessary between (a) nm light (visible is in the range 350-750, depending on who you ask) and (b) cm electromagnetic waves (microwaves at this range)

Last edited by a moderator:

and i understand the second question a bit more now, but i am still unsure as to what the answer is, if i am thinking along the right lines, then for a beam of light and a microwave to have the same diffraction angle, then the space between the gratings would need to increase if the wavelength does.

is this right? or have i gone wrong somewhere in my thinking.

it has been a while since i was taught this, and it seems to have slipped away from me :(

Given the form of the question, it seems to me they are asking for the difference in grating distances for some given angle [itex]\theta[/itex] and their respective wavelengths.

i've got my answer, and hopefully its right, if not then at least i'll learn something for next time :)

Related to Optical Diffraction: Double Slit & Gratings

1. What is optical diffraction?

Optical diffraction is the phenomenon where light waves are bent or spread out as they pass through small openings or around objects. This results in the formation of patterns of light and dark areas, known as interference patterns.

2. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave nature of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the interference pattern that is created on a screen behind the slits.

3. How is the double slit experiment related to optical diffraction?

The double slit experiment shows how light waves diffract as they pass through two narrow openings, creating an interference pattern. This is a demonstration of the diffraction of light and how it behaves like a wave.

4. What are gratings in optical diffraction?

Gratings are a type of optical component that consists of a series of closely spaced parallel lines or slits. They are used to diffract light into a spectrum of colors, similar to a prism, but with much higher resolution. They are commonly used in spectrometers and other optical instruments.

5. How is optical diffraction used in everyday life?

Optical diffraction is used in many everyday applications, such as in CD and DVD players, where the pits on the disc cause diffraction of light to read the data. It is also used in spectacles to correct vision, as well as in holograms and other forms of 3D imaging. Additionally, diffraction patterns can be seen in nature, such as in soap bubbles and peacock feathers.