Optic fibers atenuation problem

• Thread starter Jalo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optic
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum length of an optic fiber given the attenuation constant, debited power, and minimum power at the end of the fiber. The solution involves finding the total end-to-end dB loss and using it to calculate the remaining length of the optic fiber. A possible error is not taking into account the additive nature of dB losses.
Jalo

Homework Statement

In a given communication system the attenuation of a optic fiber is 0.5 dB/km, existing an extra increment of 1dB every 10km due to the junctions of the fiber. Find the maximum length that the fiber can have, knowing that the debited power by the emmiting laser, [itex]P_{0}[/itex], is 1.5mW and that the minimum power at the end of fiber,[itex]P_{0}[/itex], is 2μW.

Homework Equations

[itex]P_{t}=P_{0}e^{-\alpha L}[/itex] , where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the attenuation constant.
[itex]\alpha_{dB}=-\frac{10}{L}log(\frac{P_{t}}{P_{0}})[/itex] , where [itex]\alpha_{dB}[/itex] is the attenuation given in units of dB/km.

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this problem by assuming first that the total distance was:
[itex]L = 10n + \delta[/itex], where n is a positive natural number.
Basically for each interval of 10km I used an attenuation of [itex]\alpha_{dB}=0.6[/itex], and for the last kilometers, [itex]\delta<10km[/itex], I used an attenuation of [itex]\alpha_{dB}=0.5[/itex].

First I found the value of [itex]n[/itex]:
[itex]\alpha_{dB}=-\frac{10}{L}log(\frac{P_{t}}{P_{0}})[/itex]
[itex]n = -\frac{1}{\alpha_{dB}}log(\frac{P_{t}}{P_{0}})[/itex]

Using [itex]\alpha_{dB}=0.6[/itex] and the values of [itex]P_{t}[/itex] and [itex]P_{0}[/itex] I got the value
[itex]n=4.79[/itex].

To find the remaining length of the optic fiber I tried to find the power at the end of 40km. This was easily achieved using the equation presented earlier.

[itex]P_{t}=P_{0}e^{-n*\alpha_{dB}}[/itex]
[itex]P_{t}=1.36*10^{-4}[/itex]

Finally I tried to find the remaining length using the equation again, but using the power at the 40km mark.

[itex]\delta = -\frac{10}{\alpha_{dB}}log(\frac{P_{t}}{P_{0}})[/itex]
[itex]-\frac{10}{0.5}log(\frac{2*10^{-6}}{1.35*10^{-4}}) = 36.65km[/itex]

This is obviously wrong since the result for delta had to be less that 10km.

If someone could give me a hint on where I went wrong I'd appreciate.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since dB losses are additive, why not begin by finding the total end-to-end dB loss? Then you can play with the combinations of 0.5dB/km and 1dB/10km to sum up to that.

Related to Optic fibers atenuation problem

1. What is optic fiber attenuation?

Optic fiber attenuation is the loss of signal strength that occurs as light travels through the fiber optic cable. It is caused by various factors such as impurities in the fiber, bending of the cable, and scattering of light due to imperfections in the cable.

2. How does optic fiber attenuation affect data transmission?

Optic fiber attenuation can significantly impact data transmission by reducing the strength of the signal, which can result in errors and data loss. The longer the distance the signal has to travel, the greater the attenuation and the more significant the impact on data transmission.

3. What are the main causes of optic fiber attenuation?

The main causes of optic fiber attenuation include absorption, scattering, and bending losses. Absorption occurs when the light energy is absorbed by impurities in the fiber. Scattering happens when the light is redirected due to imperfections in the fiber, and bending losses occur when the fiber is bent too sharply, causing light to escape.

4. How can optic fiber attenuation be mitigated?

There are several methods to mitigate optic fiber attenuation, including improving the quality of the fiber by reducing impurities, using higher quality connectors and splices to minimize losses, and using repeaters or amplifiers to boost the signal strength along the cable.

5. What is the typical range of attenuation in optic fibers?

The typical range of attenuation in optic fibers can vary depending on the type of fiber and the length of the cable. However, in general, the attenuation can range from 0.2-0.5 decibels per kilometer for single-mode fibers and 3-10 decibels per kilometer for multi-mode fibers.