Opposite Side of GR: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter zonde
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary: Because in charged sphere analog it would be same as outside the bubble.In summary, a low density area would have a weaker or absent gravity field.
zonde
Gold Member
"Opposite side" of GR

I am trying to consider kind of "opposite side" of GR.
Let's consider some area in space where density of matter is less then average density of matter across the universe and in every direction average density of matter can be viewed as being higher than at this particular place.
Then gravity in this area would be repulsive, right? Light will bend away from that area and matter will "fall out" of this place.

Is it possible to find some description of that place similar to GR description for gravitating body. Let's say we make necessary assumptions about symmetry of this situation.
Something like smoothing out of topology as you approach center contrary to bending?

Physics news on Phys.org

Then gravity in this area would be repulsive, right?
No, it would be weaker or absent.
I think you intend to express the underdensity as repulsive gravity superimposed on the attractive gravity background. You can do that in the Newtonian approximation (where superposition works), but the effect would never be light bending outwards. It will bend less inwards, that's all.

I think in Newtonian approximation, the OP idea can be correct, in some sense. Not that gravity is repulsive inside the low density bubble, but that the bubble acts, to some extent, as a repulsor. A mass passing near the bubble will experience stronger gravity on its side away from the bubble, so will bend away from the bubble.

PAllen said:
I think in Newtonian approximation, the OP idea can be correct, in some sense. Not that gravity is repulsive inside the low density bubble, but that the bubble acts, to some extent, as a repulsor. A mass passing near the bubble will experience stronger gravity on its side away from the bubble, so will bend away from the bubble.
It seems that in Newtonian approximation it should not work.
Look we can compare superposition of gravity sources with electric charge. Electric charge inside sphere where charge is evenly distributed on the surface of sphere is zero. Now as we add bigger and bigger charged surfaces of spheres (up to infinity) they would still not change field inside hollow sphere - still zero.

So with Newtonian approximation we would require some entity that possesses opposite charge of gravity i.e. antigravitating entity.

zonde said:
It seems that in Newtonian approximation it should not work.
Look we can compare superposition of gravity sources with electric charge. Electric charge inside sphere where charge is evenly distributed on the surface of sphere is zero. Now as we add bigger and bigger charged surfaces of spheres (up to infinity) they would still not change field inside hollow sphere - still zero.

So with Newtonian approximation we would require some entity that possesses opposite charge of gravity i.e. antigravitating entity.

You misundestood my description. A charged sphere is not the right EM analog. The right analog would be a diffuse fluid with positive charge distributed throughout, and a bubble of no charge. What happens as a negative test particle (that, for some reason, cannot be neutralized by picking up positive charges) passes near the bubble?

The key point, in my original post, is what happens to a particle passing near the low density bubble, *outside* the bubble, not inside the bubble.

However, the Newtonian analog, as described, is simpler because of the absence of positive and negative masses. It should work as described. Read the scenario more carefully.

PAllen said:
You misundestood my description. A charged sphere is not the right EM analog. The right analog would be a diffuse fluid with positive charge distributed throughout, and a bubble of no charge. What happens as a negative test particle (that, for some reason, cannot be neutralized by picking up positive charges) passes near the bubble?

The key point, in my original post, is what happens to a particle passing near the low density bubble, *outside* the bubble, not inside the bubble.

However, the Newtonian analog, as described, is simpler because of the absence of positive and negative masses. It should work as described. Read the scenario more carefully.
Yes you are right, charged sphere is not the right analog.
If I have not made some error then it seems that even inside the bubble is different then in charged sphere analog.

Related to Opposite Side of GR: Is it Possible?

1. Is it scientifically possible to have an opposite side of the General Relativity theory?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or theoretical framework that supports the existence of an opposite side of General Relativity. The theory itself has been extensively tested and validated through numerous experiments and observations, making it a well-established and widely accepted concept in the scientific community.

2. What would be the implications if an opposite side of GR did exist?

If an opposite side of General Relativity were to exist, it would greatly challenge our current understanding of gravity and the laws of physics. It would also have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and how it operates. However, until there is concrete evidence for its existence, it remains purely speculative.

3. Are there any alternative theories that propose the existence of an opposite side of GR?

While there are some alternative theories that attempt to explain certain phenomena that General Relativity cannot, there are currently no widely accepted theories that support the idea of an opposite side of GR. Any claims of such theories must be supported by strong scientific evidence and undergo rigorous testing before being accepted by the scientific community.

4. Can we ever prove or disprove the existence of an opposite side of GR?

As with any scientific theory, the existence of an opposite side of General Relativity can only be proven or disproven through empirical evidence. This means that it must be tested through experiments or observations that can be repeated and verified by other scientists. Without solid evidence, the existence of an opposite side of GR will remain a subject of speculation.

5. What are some current research areas related to General Relativity and its potential implications?

General Relativity continues to be a topic of active research, particularly in the fields of astrophysics and cosmology. Scientists are studying various phenomena such as black holes, gravitational waves, and the expansion of the universe to better understand the principles behind GR and its potential implications. This ongoing research may lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the universe.