Opposite of Gabriel's Horn Paradox

• Thread starter fakecop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary: Ahmed in summary, found an interesting integral that has an infinite integrand, but when rotated about the x-axis, produces a pi* diverging integral.
fakecop
We are all familiar with Gabriel's Horn, where the function f(x) = 1/x generates an infinite area but a finite volume when revolved around the x-axis.

So the other day I stumbled upon a particular interesting integral: ∫ from 0 to 1 1/x2/3 dx

Instead of infinite limits of integration, we have an infinite integrand. evaluating this integral, we have 3.

When we rotate the integral about the x-axis, however, we have pi* ∫ from 0 to 1 1/x4/3 dx, which diverges to infinity.

Is this possible? I know that an infinite area can produce a finite volume of revolution, but can the converse of the statement be true? or have I done something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
SteamKing said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel's_Horn

Gabriel's horn is an example of the Painter's Paradox. According to the article above, the converse (infinite volume, finite area) is not true.

I don't think you are properly calculating the surface area or the volume of the your example function.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappus's_centroid_theorem

I think the OP is using "area" in the sense of "area under the curve", not "surface area of the solid of revolution", which is what the Painter's Paradox is concerned with.

Yes, sorry for not clarifying but by area I meant "area under the curve", which is a different calculation than "surface area of the solid of revolution". With solids of revolution that are infinitely long, I cannot find a connection between the surface area and the area under the curve.

Very interesting observation. I believe you are correct in your finding. Thank you for sharing this insight.

Junaid

Related to Opposite of Gabriel's Horn Paradox

1. What is Gabriel's Horn Paradox?

Gabriel's Horn Paradox is a mathematical paradox that involves the infinite surface area and finite volume of a three-dimensional object.

2. What is the opposite of Gabriel's Horn Paradox?

The opposite of Gabriel's Horn Paradox is a theoretical object with finite surface area and infinite volume.

3. Does the opposite of Gabriel's Horn Paradox exist in the physical world?

No, the opposite of Gabriel's Horn Paradox is a theoretical concept and does not exist in the physical world.

4. How does the opposite of Gabriel's Horn Paradox challenge our understanding of infinities?

The opposite of Gabriel's Horn Paradox challenges our understanding of infinities because it contradicts our intuition that objects with infinite volume must also have infinite surface area.

5. What are some real-world applications of Gabriel's Horn Paradox and its opposite?

Real-world applications of Gabriel's Horn Paradox and its opposite include the study of fluid dynamics and the creation of mathematical models for physical phenomena that involve infinite or infinitesimal quantities.