Opinion Please: Which of These LED Drive Circuit is Best?

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit that turns on an LED below 11V and the discussion revolves around the best way to design the circuit. Suggestions are made to use a PNP BJT as a high-side switch, but it is pointed out that the first NPN transistor's collector should be connected to the third transistor's base to work effectively. The final design involves using an additional NPN transistor and the full schematic is shared with the group. It is also acknowledged that designing high-side switching is more complicated than low-side switching.
jmcafee
Your opinion, please. Does one of the two variations of this circuit offer a clear advantage, or is it a wash (see attached)?

This indicator circuit turns on the LED below 11V (set by the zener). The LED cathode must be at ground (it is actually part of a tri-color LED with a common cathode), so it cannot be in the collector circuit of an NPN.

Any suggestions on the transistor biasing?

Thanks for your comments.

Attachments

• Schematic.gif
    Schematic.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 463
Engineering news on Phys.org
The 2nd circuit is closest, but still not quite right. Thematically, you use a PNP BJT for high-side switches, as the 2nd circuit does. But the first NPN transistor Q1 should have its collector connected to Q3's base through the resistor, so that when Q1 turns on, it pulls down on Q3's base to turn it on. Re-draw the 2nd circuit that way, and re-simulate. Should work a lot better.

Welcome to the PF, BTW!

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike.

Thinking further about what you said, I'm not sure that your proposed action is what I need functionally (or maybe I don't understand). To reiterate, the LED is to be OFF above 11V.

I'm using Q1 as an inverter; when it is on, I want Q3 off (and the reciprocal). So I don't want to pull the Q3 base low when Q1 is saturated.

Last edited:
jmcafee said:
Thinking further about what you said, I'm not sure that your proposed action is what I need functionally (or maybe I don't understand). To reiterate, the LED is to be OFF above 11V.

I'm using Q1 as an inverter; when it is on, I want Q3 off (and the reciprocal). So I don't want to pull the Q3 base low when Q1 is saturated.

Ah, my bad, I missed where you mentioned the polarity. But circuit #2 still won't work, because Q1 can't pull its emitter up high enough to turn off Q3, given its base biasing. I'd suggest using an additional transistor instead -- use the configuration I mentioned in my previous post, and add an extra NPN stage in the middle to do the inversion.

Mike,

Thanks very much! This may not be exactly what you envisioned, but I'm sure it is close. Regardless, it now functions perfectly (my original design would never turn off the red LED).

I've attached the full schematic. It is a voltage monitor using a single LED indicator that lights red at 10-11.2V, amber at 11.2-12.2V, and green above 12.2V.

I learned an important lesson from you that high side switching is trickier to design than low side switching.

Jim

Attachments

• Schematic full.gif
    Schematic full.gif
    15 KB · Views: 469
jmcafee said:
Mike,

Thanks very much! This may not be exactly what you envisioned, but I'm sure it is close. Regardless, it now functions perfectly (my original design would never turn off the red LED).

I've attached the full schematic. It is a voltage monitor using a single LED indicator that lights red at 10-11.2V, amber at 11.2-12.2V, and green above 12.2V.

I learned an important lesson from you that high side switching is trickier to design than low side switching.

Jim

Nice work, Jim. I'd say you have a future in circuit design! :biggrin:

Related to Opinion Please: Which of These LED Drive Circuit is Best?

1. What is the purpose of a LED drive circuit?

A LED drive circuit is used to control the current and voltage flowing through a light-emitting diode (LED). It ensures that the LED receives the appropriate amount of power to emit light at a consistent and desired brightness.

2. What are the different types of LED drive circuits?

There are three main types of LED drive circuits: series, parallel, and series-parallel. In a series circuit, the LEDs are connected in a linear fashion and share the same current. In a parallel circuit, each LED has its own current source. A series-parallel circuit combines elements of both series and parallel circuits.

3. What are the advantages of each type of LED drive circuit?

A series circuit is simple and cost-effective, but may not be suitable for applications requiring multiple LEDs. A parallel circuit allows for individual control of each LED and is more reliable, but can be more complex and expensive. A series-parallel circuit offers a balance between simplicity and control, making it a popular choice for many applications.

4. How do I determine which LED drive circuit is best for my application?

The best LED drive circuit for an application depends on factors such as the number of LEDs, desired brightness, and available power source. It is important to consider the specific requirements and limitations of your project before selecting a circuit type.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with LED drive circuits?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with LED drive circuits, as they involve high voltage and current. Make sure to use appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and to turn off all power sources before handling the circuit. If you are unsure about the safety of a circuit, consult a professional.