Operators in Quantum mechanics: can one swap \Psi and \Psi^*

In summary: It takes on a value between -1 and 1, depending on how much momentum the object has. The equation for momentum is given by $$\Psi = -i\hbar\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^* \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} dx$$ However, if you swap the coordinates of the operator, you get $$\Psi = -i\hbar\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^* \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} dx$$. This is because momentum is supposed to be Hermitian
ManueldelaVaca

Homework Statement

The demonstration for the momentum operator in Quantum Mechanics goes something like this

<v>=\frac{d}{dt}<x>=\frac{d}{dt} \int x \Psi^* \Psi dx

and then one ends up with

<p>=m<v>=\int \Psi^* (-i \hbar \frac{d}{dx}) Psi dx

however, if you swap the congugates you get
<p>=m<v>=\int \Psi (i \hbar \frac{d}{dx}) Psi^* dx

Can somebody confirm that this is true? When one works with operators the order of the \Psi and \Psi* is important?

Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-14_15-29-35.png
    upload_2015-9-14_15-29-35.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
$$
-i\hbar \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^* \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} dx = -i \hbar \left(|\psi|^2 \big|_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi \frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x} dx \right)
$$
$$
= i\hbar \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi \frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x} dx
$$
where we have assumed that ##\psi## is square integrable. This is no surprise since momentum is supposed to be Hermitian.

blue_leaf77 said:
$$
-i\hbar \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^* \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} dx = -i \hbar \left(|\psi|^2 \big|_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi \frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x} dx \right)
$$
$$
= i\hbar \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi \frac{\partial \psi^*}{\partial x} dx
$$
where we have assumed that ##\psi## is square integrable. This is no surprise since momentum is supposed to be Hermitian.

But why does ##\psi## vanish at ##+\infty## and ##-\infty##? Surely not every square-integrable function has that property?

micromass said:
Surely not every square-integrable function has that property?
What might be an example of a square-integrable function which does not vanish at infinities?

[tex]f(x) = x^2 \text{exp}(-x^8\sin^2(x))[/tex]

Why does this function not vanish for x approaches infinity, I think by simple inspection it should? What am I missing here?

EDIT: After seeing the post in http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...ction-tend-to-0-as-its-argument-tends-to-infi, I come to agree with you. It's the infinitely zero width but finite height that may make a function square-integrable although it does not necessarily vanish at infinities. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
If ##x=\pi n ## for some integer ##n##, then ##\sin^2(x) = 0##. Hence for these ##x##, we have ##f(x) = x^2=\pi^2 n^2##. This does not converge to ##0## if ##n## gets large. In fact, it becomes unbounded.

Last edited:
Likes blue_leaf77
CORRECTION to post #2:
The requirement "where we have assumed that ##\psi## is square integrable" should be narrowed down to ##\psi## which goes to zero when ##|x|## goes to infinity.

Thank you all for your useful answers.

$$\Psi$$

Related to Operators in Quantum mechanics: can one swap \Psi and \Psi^*

What are operators in Quantum mechanics?

Operators in Quantum mechanics are mathematical tools used to describe the behavior of quantum systems. They represent physical quantities such as position, momentum, and energy, and allow us to make predictions about the behavior of particles in a quantum system.

Can one swap \Psi and \Psi^*?

Yes, in certain situations it is possible to swap the wave function \Psi and its complex conjugate \Psi^* in quantum mechanics. This is known as the Hermitian conjugate and is often used in calculations involving operators.

What is the significance of swapping \Psi and \Psi^*?

Swapping \Psi and \Psi^* allows us to calculate the expectation value of an operator, which is the average value of the results obtained when measuring the corresponding physical quantity. This is a key concept in quantum mechanics and helps us understand the behavior of quantum systems.

Is there a specific rule for swapping \Psi and \Psi^*?

Yes, the rule for swapping \Psi and \Psi^* is known as the Hermitian conjugate rule. It states that when an operator acts on a wave function, \Psi, the result can be obtained by swapping \Psi and \Psi^* and then taking the complex conjugate of the new wave function.

Are there any limitations to swapping \Psi and \Psi^*?

Swapping \Psi and \Psi^* is only applicable to certain operators and wave functions in quantum mechanics. It does not work for all operators and wave functions, so it is important to understand the specific conditions under which swapping is allowed in order to make accurate predictions about quantum systems.