Operators and the position representation

In summary, the position-space wave function of a state acted upon by an operator A can be derived by using the position-space wave function of the original state and the position-space matrix elements of the operator A. This can be seen in the example of deriving the position-space matrix elements of the momentum operator using the canonical commutation relation.
tom.fay
I have a question about the formalism of quantum mechanics. For some operator A...

[itex]\langle x |A|\psi\rangle = A\langle x | \psi \rangle[/itex]

Can this be derived by sticking identity operators in or is it more a definition/postulate.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your right-hand side doesn't really make sense; operators act on states but on the right-hand side A is trying to act on a number. I think what you want is

##\langle x | A | \psi \rangle = \int dx' \langle x | A | x' \rangle \langle x' | \psi \rangle##

The left hand side is the position-space wave function of the state ##A | \psi \rangle## which the right-hand side gives in terms of the position-space wave function of the state ##| \psi \rangle## and the position-space matrix elements of the operator A.

For example, you can derive the position-space matrix elements of the momentum operator ##p## from the canonical commutation relation ##[x, p] = i\hbar##. You find

##\langle x | p | x' \rangle = i \hbar \delta ' (x' - x)##

Where ##\delta'(x)## is the derivative of the Dirac delta function. Plugging this into the above formula you get

##\langle x | p | \psi \rangle = \int dx' i \hbar \delta ' (x' - x) \langle x' | psi \rangle = -i \hbar \int dx' \delta(x' - x) \frac{d}{dx'} \langle x' | \psi \rangle = -i \hbar \frac{d}{dx} \langle x | \psi \rangle##

which tells you that the position space wave function of ##p | \psi \rangle## is -i hbar times the derivative of the position space wave function of ##| \psi \rangle##

Last edited:
Aaah that makes a lot more sense. Thank you.

Related to Operators and the position representation

1. What is the role of operators in the position representation?

In the position representation, operators are mathematical symbols that act on a wavefunction to produce a physical quantity, such as position or momentum. They allow us to describe the behavior and properties of a quantum system.

2. How do operators relate to the position representation?

Operators in the position representation are defined as functions of position, and they describe the behavior of a quantum system in terms of its position. They allow us to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a certain position or to measure its position with certainty.

3. What is the position operator and how is it represented mathematically?

The position operator is one of the fundamental operators in quantum mechanics and is represented by the symbol x. Mathematically, it is defined as a differential operator that acts on the wavefunction to give the position of a particle.

4. What is the significance of the position representation in quantum mechanics?

The position representation is one of the most important representations in quantum mechanics as it allows us to describe the behavior of a quantum system in terms of its position. It is also the basis for other representations, such as the momentum representation, and is used to calculate physical quantities and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

5. How do operators and the position representation relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. Operators and the position representation play a crucial role in understanding and quantifying this uncertainty, as they allow us to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a certain position or with a certain momentum. The position representation also illustrates the complementary relationship between position and momentum, as they are conjugate variables in quantum mechanics.