Operators and Commutators help

In summary, The conversation discusses using the unit operator to show that a Hermitian operator A can be written in terms of its orthonormal eigenstates and real eigenvalues. It is also mentioned that A can be written as a sum of these eigenstates and eigenvalues, and that A^k can be deduced by induction. The conversation also clarifies that the question assumes knowledge of the fact that 1 is equal to the sum of all orthonormal eigenstates.
TIGERHULL
Hi, I have this question for a problem sheet:

Use the unit operator to show that a Hermitian operator A can be written in terms of its orthonormal eigenstates ln> and real eigenvalues a as :

A=(sum of) ln>a<nl

and hence deduce by induction that A^k = (sum of) ln>a^k<nl

I have no idea where to begin and was wondering if someone could give me some pointers and help me work through it. Also, sorry about my notation

Physics news on Phys.org
You are probably assumed to know that [tex]1 = \sum_n |n\rangle \langle n|[/tex], where 1 means the unit operator.

Yes we are, sorry it says that as well. Any pointers on where to begin still?

Sure, but I think it's rather obvious as the question already says is: A = 1A = A1 (that's the definition of the unity operator, btw).

Related to Operators and Commutators help

What are operators and commutators?

Operators are mathematical symbols that represent transformations or operations on a mathematical object. In quantum mechanics, operators are used to represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy. Commutators are mathematical expressions that measure how two operators interact with each other.

Why are operators and commutators important in quantum mechanics?

Operators and commutators are important because they help us understand the behavior of quantum systems. By studying the commutators of operators, we can determine if two observables can be measured simultaneously and how they affect each other. This information is crucial in predicting the outcomes of experiments and understanding the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

What is the difference between a commutator and an anti-commutator?

A commutator measures how two operators interact with each other, while an anti-commutator measures how they anti-commute. In other words, the commutator measures the extent to which two operators do not commute, while the anti-commutator measures the extent to which they do commute.

How are operators and commutators related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the precise position and momentum of a particle at the same time. In quantum mechanics, this is expressed through the commutation relation between the position and momentum operators. The uncertainty principle can also be generalized to other pairs of observables by studying their commutators.

How can operators and commutators be used to solve problems in quantum mechanics?

Operators and commutators can be used in a variety of ways to solve problems in quantum mechanics. They can help us determine the energy levels of a system, calculate transition probabilities, and solve Schrödinger's equation. They are also crucial in developing mathematical models for quantum systems and predicting experimental outcomes.