How can images dimention be larger than the domains?

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of constructing a continuous function from the interval [0,1] to a higher-dimensional space, such as a ball. This function is typically created using a fractal-style algorithm and is non-differentiable at any point. The conversation also touches on the concept of space-filling curves, which can be used to parameterize higher-dimensional manifolds with one parameter. This was thought to be impossible until Peano provided an example in the 19th century. A suggested method for creating such curves is to subdivide a square into smaller squares and connect their centers. The conversation also recommends the book "Geometry and the Imagination" by Hilbert and Cohn-Vossen for further exploration
vadik
I'm lost! My book of topology says that its possible to construct a (continuous!) function f:[0,1] -> R^n such that the image is
a ball {x: |x|<=1}
I can't imagine how is it any possible to do such things. The book doesn't give any example or prove of it. It's just a comment. Any ideas? I can't solve this even for n=2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are space-filling curves.

Constructing them usually involves creating a curve with a fractal-style algorithm and showing that as the number of iterations goes to infinity you get a continuous curve that fills the entire space.

It is, of course, a function that is not differentiable at any point so it is really nasty!

HallsofIvy said:
It is, of course, a function that is not differentiable at any point so it is really nasty!
I liked it when I first saw that stuff! Perhaps that makes me a nasty guy :devil:

Vadik, do a google search on "Peano curve"; those examples request at least a page of calculation, too big to post it in here. But thank god once you've done it for n=2 other examples can easily be made up.

What these functions show is that you can parameterize higher-dimensional manifolds with one parameter - but never in a homeomorphic way.

this was also thought impossible by mathematicians of the 19th century until peano i guess showed otherwise.

to start just subdivide a square into 4 parts and conect the centers of the 4 quarters.

then subdivide each quarter further into quarters, i.e. 16ths of the original square and connect the centers of all 16 small squares.

continue like this and you will have as a limit a curve that passes through a dense set of points of your square. but since the image of the curve is closed, it will pass through every point of the square!

a good (make that great) book discussing this, and many other wonderful things, is hilbert and cohn vossen, geometry and the imagination, written for the general public!

1. How is it possible for images to have dimensions larger than the domains?

Images can have dimensions larger than the domains because the size of an image is determined by its resolution, which is the number of pixels per inch. The larger the resolution, the higher the quality of the image. The domain, on the other hand, refers to the physical size or dimensions of the image, which can be changed or manipulated without affecting the resolution.

2. Why would someone want to have an image with larger dimensions than the domain?

Having an image with larger dimensions than the domain allows for more flexibility in resizing and cropping without losing quality. It also allows for better printing quality, as the image can be scaled down to fit the desired dimensions without losing resolution.

3. Can all images have dimensions larger than the domains?

No, not all images can have dimensions larger than the domains. This depends on the original size and resolution of the image. If an image has a low resolution, enlarging it beyond its domain will result in a blurry or pixelated image.

4. How can I determine the appropriate dimensions for an image larger than the domain?

The appropriate dimensions for an image larger than the domain can be determined by the desired resolution and the intended use of the image. For example, if the image will be used for printing, a higher resolution and larger dimensions may be needed compared to an image used for web design.

5. Are there any limitations to having images with larger dimensions than the domains?

Yes, there are limitations to having images with larger dimensions than the domains. The main limitation is the file size, as larger dimensions and higher resolutions will result in a larger file size. This can affect website loading speed and storage capacity. Additionally, printing images with larger dimensions may require specialized equipment and can be more expensive.