Operator commutator (Heisenberg picture)

In summary, we can use the Heisenberg equation of motion to rewrite the commutator between x(t) and x(t) at different times, and further simplify it using the definition of the commutator.
AntiStrange

Homework Statement

It's a part of a bigger problem, but what I need help with is finding the commutator between x(t) and x(t) at a different time. So basically I need [x(t1),x(t2)]

Homework Equations

[tex]A(t)=e^{iHt/\hbar}Ae^{-iHt/\hbar}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The farthest I can get is writing out the commutator using the above equation:
[x(t1),x(t2)] =
[tex]e^{iHt1/\hbar}xe^{-iHt1/\hbar}e^{iHt2/\hbar}xe^{-iHt2/\hbar}-e^{iHt2/\hbar}xe^{-iHt2/\hbar}e^{iHt1/\hbar}xe^{-iHt1/\hbar}[/tex]

But that's just a big mess, and I don't know how to move forward from there. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! I understand your struggle with finding the commutator between x(t) and x(t) at different times. The key to solving this problem is to use the Heisenberg equation of motion:

dx(t)/dt = (1/iℏ)[H,x(t)]

We can use this equation to rewrite the commutator as:

[x(t1),x(t2)] = (1/iℏ)[x(t1),x(t2)] = (1/iℏ)(dx(t1)/dt)(dx(t2)/dt)

Now, we can use the definition of the commutator to expand this further:

[x(t1),x(t2)] = (1/iℏ)(dx(t1)/dt)(dx(t2)/dt) = (1/iℏ)([x(t1),x(t2)]-[x(t2),x(t1)])

We can then substitute this back into our original equation and simplify to get:

[x(t1),x(t2)] = (1/iℏ)([x(t1),x(t2)]-[x(t2),x(t1)]) = (1/iℏ)([x(t1),x(t2)]-[x(t2),x(t1)])

This is as far as we can go without knowing the specific form of your Hamiltonian. I hope this helps you move forward with your problem!

Related to Operator commutator (Heisenberg picture)

1. What is an operator commutator in the Heisenberg picture?

An operator commutator in the Heisenberg picture is a mathematical representation of the relationship between two operators in quantum mechanics. It measures how the order of operations affects the final result.

2. How is the operator commutator calculated?

The operator commutator is calculated by taking the difference between the product of the two operators and the product of the two operators in reverse order. Mathematically, it is represented as [A, B] = AB - BA.

3. What is the physical significance of the operator commutator?

The operator commutator has physical significance as it determines whether two operators can be measured simultaneously or not. If the commutator is equal to zero, then the operators can be measured simultaneously.

4. How does the operator commutator relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The operator commutator is directly related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa. This is represented mathematically by the commutation relation [x, p] = iħ, where x is the position operator, p is the momentum operator, and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

5. Can the operator commutator be used to determine the time evolution of operators?

Yes, the operator commutator can be used to determine the time evolution of operators in the Heisenberg picture. The time derivative of an operator can be calculated using the commutator with the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of a system. This allows us to track the changes in operators over time in quantum systems.