Operations that Maintain/Don't Maintain Inequality

In summary, the operations that maintain an inequality are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division by any number other than zero. Taking any nonzero exponent, except for numbers a and -a where a != -a, also maintains the inequality. However, logarithms may not maintain the inequality if the function is not injective and does not include all allowed numbers in its domain. In the complex case, every number has infinitely many logarithms and the "principle value" of the logarithm is denoted as Log(z).
madah12

Homework Statement

then what are the operations that maintain the Inequality and what are the operations that don't?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

clearly addition and subtraction maintains it ,and so does multiplication and division by any number other than zero. also taking any nonzero exponent except incase numbers a and -a
cause a !=-a but a^even = (-a)^even and the zeroes but what about the logarithms?
2 =! -2 but can we say that ln(-2) =! ln(2) I mean since there is no such thing as ln(-2) can we not equalize something we don't know? and what are the other operations that I forgot to mention that maintain or don't maintain the inequality

Physics news on Phys.org
madah12 said:
clearly addition and subtraction maintains it ,and so does multiplication and division by any number other than zero.

Are you sure? We know
2 > 1
Now multiply or divide both sides by -1. Does the inequality hold still?

i am not talking about > or < I am talking about =!
2 =! 1
-2 =! -1
yes that holds

Ok, misunderstood. Do you know about 1-to-1 functions?

no I don't even know how to correctly read that...

Oh, well you can look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-to-one. It has a lot of relevance to the problem, I think. Think about functions that are not 1-to-1 like sin and cos and x^2 compared to ones that are like e^x, x^3 and arctan

so you are implying that if f is Injective then if a =! b , f(a) =! f(b) but if it isn't injective then there might be be numbers a,b where a =! b but f(a)=f(b)?

You got it except that it isn't just that there might be numbers a,b where a =! b but f(a)=f(b) when f isn't injective, there definitely are.

oh I see thanks but can you help me in the logarithm part of whether we can say than ln(2) IS not equal to ln(-2) even if we don't know what ln(-2) is?

You need to add another requirement that the domain of the function needs to include all the allowed numbers.

[tex]ln(-2) = ln(-1) + ln(2) = (2k+1) i \pi + ln(2), k\epsilon \mathbb{N}[/tex]

This is, of course, if you allow complex numbers.

Although that has it's own problems and ln(x) is usually restricted to the real numbers. In the complex case every number has infinitely many logarithms, and the "principle value" of the logarithm is usually denoted
[tex]\text{Log}(z)[/tex]
with a capitol L.

Related to Operations that Maintain/Don't Maintain Inequality

What is meant by "operations that maintain inequality"?

Operations that maintain inequality refer to any actions or processes that contribute to the existence and continuation of unequal distribution of resources, opportunities, or power among individuals or groups.

What are examples of operations that maintain inequality?

Examples of operations that maintain inequality include discriminatory hiring practices, unequal pay for equal work, lack of access to quality education and healthcare, and systemic racism or sexism in government policies.

What is the difference between operations that maintain inequality and those that don't?

The main difference between operations that maintain inequality and those that don't is their impact on the distribution of resources and opportunities. Operations that maintain inequality perpetuate and reinforce existing inequalities, while operations that don't maintain inequality aim to promote equality and fairness.

Why is it important to understand operations that maintain inequality?

Understanding operations that maintain inequality is crucial in order to address and dismantle systemic inequalities. By identifying and understanding these operations, we can work towards creating more equitable and just systems.

What role do scientists play in studying operations that maintain inequality?

Scientists play a vital role in studying operations that maintain inequality by conducting research and collecting data that can inform policies and interventions to address and mitigate these operations. They also play a critical role in raising awareness and promoting understanding of these complex issues.