Operational Amplifier Circuit for Adding AC & DC Signals

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to design a circuit to measure the C-V curve of a reverse biased diode. The circuit must add an AC signal with a magnitude of 25mV and a variable DC signal between 0 to 5V, and apply it to the diode. The AC current through the diode will be measured with a lock-in amplifier using a built-in function. Various methods for achieving this, such as using a summing op-amp or coupling capacitors, are suggested and discussed. It is clarified that the diode in question is not a varactor, but an improvised varactor diode. The goal is to obtain an accurate graph of C vs. Vrev for the diode using
yasef
I need a circuit that adds an AC signal with magnitude of 25mV and a variable DC signal between 0 to 5V, and applies it to a diode.

Physics news on Phys.org
How to superimpose AC signal With DC signal with operational amplifier?

What do you want to do with the "output" of the diode?

An op-amp can have any number of input resistors, each connected to the (-) input. If each Rin is made equal in value to the single feedback resistor, Rf, then the op-amp forms a unity-gain summer (albeit inverting). Is that good enough for your need?

yasef said:
How to superimpose AC signal With DC signal with operational amplifier?

Please ask your question in a better way.

What's the input? What's the output?

What do you mean by superimpose?

Hi yasef,

This depends on the output impedance of your AC source, but some simple methods are to use bias resistors and an AC coupling coupling capacitor. This can form a high pass filter, so you need to choose appropriate values. You could also use a summing OpAmp.

If you just mean you want a DC and AC signal on the output...then dragonpetter's idea will work....

Or just connect your AC source to the "- input" and connect DC source to "+ input". And plan their gains accordingly.

For the diode I will measure the C- V characteristic of the diode. Just thank you for your answer and could you tell me if the output signal of the summing amplifier will consist DC and AC coming together so that I can measure Capacitance and voltage simultaneously.

This is what İ want to do:İ want to design a circuit to measure C-V curve of a reverse biased diode. Due to the specifications İ should use a circuit that adds an AC signal with magnitude of 25mV and a variable DC signal between 0 to 5V, and applies it to
a diode. Then İ measure AC current through the diode with a lock-in amplifier by using a built in function. Do you have any ideas how İ can do this?

Thanks for your answers.This is what İ want to do:İ want to design a circuit to measure C-V curve of a reverse biased diode. Due to the specifications İ should use a circuit that adds an AC signal with magnitude of 25mV and a variable DC signal between 0 to 5V, and applies it to
a diode. Then İ measure AC current through the diode with a lock-in amplifier by using a built in function. Do you have any ideas how İ can do this?

I doubt that a summer is needed. Just couple the AC through a capacitor and join it with a relatively high resistor from your variable DC supply. You'll be measuring a ratio of voltages to allow you to estimate C, will you? This is a varactor experiment?

I've always used wide-band transformers for this, so-called modem transformers to be specific.
The DC goes through the secondary and the AC is "added" via the primary.
Works quite well as long as you can tolerate the extra inductance in series with the DC.
A capacitor might also work, but you need to watch out for the RC time-constant.

This is not a varactor experiment. Actully now I had desined a circuit.
I added a circuit that adds AC signal with Magnitude of 25 mV a variable DC signal between 0 to 5 using with op amp, and applied to a diode. I will measure the AC current through the diode with a lock in amplifier. I will use lock in amplifier built in function generator and auxillary output port. From this experimental setup how can I measure C-V current of a reverse biased diode.

yasef said:
This is not a varactor experiment.
Okay.
can I measure C-V current of a reverse biased diode.
Then what is C, since it's not capacitance?

Actually I am not very experienced about these things but I think that varactor is a special case. This is just a diode. C come from diode.

 Okay, so it's an improvised varactor diode. https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Will you be using actual devices, or is this going to be a computer simulation?

Is this to be a semi-automated demonstration, or is your goal simply to obtain an accurate graph
of C vs. Vrev for a particular diode?

Last edited by a moderator:
We will use actual device. I am not sure what do you mean about semi outomated demonstration but our signal source for AC and DC is lock in amplifier. At the and I should abtain a graph of C vs V.

Related to Operational Amplifier Circuit for Adding AC & DC Signals

1. What is an operational amplifier (op-amp)?

An operational amplifier, or op-amp, is an electronic component that amplifies a voltage signal. It is typically used in various circuits to perform mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, and differentiation.

2. How does an op-amp circuit add AC and DC signals?

An op-amp circuit for adding AC and DC signals consists of an inverting amplifier and a non-inverting amplifier connected in parallel. The AC signal is applied to the non-inverting input, while the DC signal is applied to the inverting input. The output of the circuit is the sum of the two signals.

3. What is the difference between an inverting and non-inverting amplifier?

An inverting amplifier produces an output that is the inverse of the input signal, while a non-inverting amplifier produces an output that is the same as the input signal. In an op-amp circuit for adding AC and DC signals, the inverting amplifier is used to amplify and invert the DC signal, while the non-inverting amplifier is used to amplify the AC signal.

4. How can I calculate the output voltage of an op-amp circuit for adding AC and DC signals?

The output voltage of the circuit can be calculated using the formula Vout = (-Rf/R1) * Vin + (1 + Rf/R1) * Vdc, where Rf is the feedback resistor, R1 is the input resistor, Vin is the AC input voltage, and Vdc is the DC input voltage. This formula assumes ideal op-amp behavior, and some variations may exist depending on the specific circuit design.

5. What are some potential applications of an op-amp circuit for adding AC and DC signals?

This type of circuit can be used in audio equipment, signal processing, and other electronic systems that require the addition of AC and DC signals. It can also be useful in instrumentation and control systems for performing mathematical operations on input signals.