Operating Temperature Question

• Thread starter yellowbirdphil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, the individual is trying to determine the amount of carbon monoxide in the smoke of an industrial rotisserie smoker by using AS-MLC CO sensors from Applied Sensor. However, the sensors have an operating temperature of 270 degrees celsius, which may cause them to get clogged if placed in the smoke. The individual is considering using a toaster oven heating element to constantly heat the sensors to the necessary temperature, and also wondering if it would still work if the sensor was connected to a separate power supply. The datasheet mentions an ambient temperature range and operating temperature, and the individual wonders if the heater inside the device is necessary. They also mention the possibility of using a CO level transducer from motor car exhaust systems or using
yellowbirdphil
I am working at determining how much carbon monoxide is present in the smoke of an industrial rotisserie smoker for BBQ. I have sensorsfrom Applied Sensor called AS-MLC CO sensors. The problem is that their operating temperature is 270 degrees celsius (around 500 degrees F). The sensors can't sit right in the smoke to get that hot because I am sure it will get easily get clogged from the soot and such. I want the sensors to be located within the smoker itself, but there it would only get to around 250 degrees F.
Do you agree that the sensor would get clogged when placed right near the wood where the smoke is coming off of?
Also, one solution I considered to heat the device that much is by connecting a toaster oven heating element to it that is constantly running at the heat I need it to be at. The element would be contained in a container, and a fan would blow the hot air through a tube to the sensor. Would this work?
I have included a link to the datasheet: https://www.appliedsensor.com/pdfs/AS-MLC_CO.pdf

My last question is that one the pins for the sensor on the datasheet it says that there is a pin for heater power and a pin for heater ground. Would it still work if I connected the sensor to a power supply, but heated it separately by blowing the air onto it?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The datasheet says the Ambient temperature range is for -40°C to 50°C (lower than op. temp.).

Okay, so if I understand correctly, the ambient temperature is the temperature of the air surrounding the sensor, and the operating temperature is the temperature range it can operate within, correct?

There is a CO level transducer (gas analyser) in motor car exhaust systems, I believe. That is a pretty savage environment. Perhaps you could approach the problem from that direction.
Also, the idea of a bypass channel with filtering before the sensor has merit if there is to be lots of smoke and oil vapours about.

Afaik, the heater inside the device is there to ensure the cell is operating at above ambient temperature - possibly to ensure that the cell boils off its products. That would imply, I think, that it needs a heater supply.

Last edited:
It has an internal heater:

Pin Function
1 Sensor electrode 1
2 Heater power
3 Sensor electrode 2
4 Heater ground

Related to Operating Temperature Question

1. What is the operating temperature of a device?

The operating temperature of a device refers to the range of temperatures in which the device can function properly without any significant changes in performance. This temperature range is usually specified by the manufacturer and can vary greatly depending on the type of device.

2. What happens if a device is operated outside of its recommended temperature range?

Operating a device outside of its recommended temperature range can have negative effects on its performance and lifespan. For example, if a device is operated at too high of a temperature, it can overheat and potentially cause damage to its components. Similarly, operating a device at too low of a temperature can cause it to function improperly or even stop working altogether.

3. How do I determine the operating temperature of a device?

The operating temperature of a device is usually specified by the manufacturer and can be found in the device's manual or on its packaging. It is important to refer to this recommended temperature range to ensure the proper functioning and longevity of the device.

4. Can the operating temperature of a device be changed or adjusted?

In most cases, the operating temperature of a device cannot be changed or adjusted. It is determined by the design and components of the device and is not something that can be altered by the user. However, some devices may have built-in temperature control features that allow for minor adjustments within a certain range.

5. What factors can affect the operating temperature of a device?

There are several factors that can affect the operating temperature of a device, including ambient temperature, air flow, usage intensity, and the type and quality of components used in the device's construction. It is important to consider these factors when using and storing a device to ensure it is operating within its recommended temperature range.