OpenWorm: The Secrets of C. elegans Through Open Science

In summary, the conversation discusses the OpenWorm project, which aims to simulate the worm C. elegans in order to test biophysical models at the single-cell, systems, and environmental interaction levels. The project is currently focused on the nervous system and musculature, but also includes modeling development and aging. The Kickstarter campaign for the project has 3 hours left and needs $10,000 to reach its goal, which will fund engineering efforts, server costs, and education/outreach about open science. The post also mentions that the project has received a donation from Physics Forums and has been approved by Greg Bernhardt. The final update is that the campaign was a success and thanks all who contributed.
miraiw
Hi PF members,

I'm writing code for OpenWorm this summer. Our goal is to simulate the entire worm C. elegans for the purposes of testing biophysical models at the level of single cells, of systems of cells, and of interaction with the worm's environment. Our current focus is on the nervous system and musculature needed for movement, but we're also working on modeling development and aging as well. More information is available on the link above and on the Kickstarter page linked below.

Our Kickstarter campaign has *only 3 hours left* and $10,000 to reach our goal. Donations fund engineering efforts in the project, pay for servers, and allow for expanding education and outreach about open science. Any amount helps.

Note: I am not in any way being funded through this campaign

Greg Bernhardt has approved submission of this post.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
The campaign was a success! Thanks to all who contributed to our funding -- your support won't be in vain.

Also to any who looked into OpenWorm and chose to support the project in other ways :)

Glad to hear it worked :smile:

As a fellow scientist, I am excited to hear about the OpenWorm project and the progress being made in simulating the C. elegans worm. The potential for understanding biophysical models and interactions at the single cell and systems level is immense, and I commend the team for also incorporating aspects of development and aging into their work.

The concept of open science is crucial in advancing scientific research and promoting collaboration and transparency. I am pleased to see that the OpenWorm project is embracing this approach and utilizing crowdfunding to support their efforts. I encourage others to consider donating to this campaign to help fund the important engineering and outreach efforts of the project.

I look forward to seeing the results of this project and the impact it will have on our understanding of C. elegans and its complex biological processes. Keep up the great work!

Related to OpenWorm: The Secrets of C. elegans Through Open Science

1. What is OpenWorm and what is its purpose?

OpenWorm is an open science project aimed at creating a digital simulation of the microscopic roundworm, C. elegans. Its purpose is to better understand the behavior and biological processes of this organism, which is a commonly used model in scientific research.

2. How does OpenWorm use open science principles?

OpenWorm uses open science principles by making all of its research, data, and software publicly available for anyone to access and use. This promotes collaboration and transparency in the scientific community.

3. What are the benefits of studying C. elegans through a digital simulation?

Studying C. elegans through a digital simulation allows for a more comprehensive understanding of its complex biological processes and behavior. It also allows for experiments to be conducted virtually, reducing the need for live organisms and potentially leading to more ethical research practices.

4. How accurate is the OpenWorm simulation compared to a real C. elegans organism?

The OpenWorm simulation is continuously being refined and improved, but it is currently able to accurately reproduce the basic behaviors and movements of C. elegans. However, it is not a perfect replica of a real organism and may have limitations in accurately representing more complex behaviors.

5. Can anyone contribute to the OpenWorm project?

Yes, anyone with the necessary skills and knowledge can contribute to the OpenWorm project. This can include scientists, programmers, and even interested individuals without a scientific background. The project welcomes contributions and encourages collaboration to further its research goals.