Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Open Subsets in a Metric Space ... Stromberg, Theorem 3.6 .. ...

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
I am reading Karl R. Stromberg's book: "An Introduction to Classical Real Analysis". ... ...

I am focused on Chapter 3: Limits and Continuity ... ...

I need help in order to fully understand the proof of Theorem 3.6 on page 94 ... ...

Theorem 3.6 and its proof read as follows:

Stromberg - Theorem 3.6 ... .png

In the above proof by Stromberg we read the following:

" ... ... Letting \(\displaystyle r = \text{min} \{ r_1, r_2, \ ... \ ... \ r_n \}\) we see that \(\displaystyle B_r (a) \subset U_j \text{ for each } j = 1,2, \ ... \ ... n\) ... ... "

Although it seems plausible ... I do not see ... rigorously speaking, why the above statement is true ...

Can someone demonstrate rigorously that letting \(\displaystyle r = \text{min} \{ r_1, r_2, \ ... \ ... \ r_n \}\) ...

... implies that \(\displaystyle B_r (a) \subset U_j\) for each \(\displaystyle j = 1,2, \ ... \ ... n\) ... ...

Surely it is possible that \(\displaystyle B_r (a)\) lies partly outside some \(\displaystyle U_j\) ... ...

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
The Theorem makes reference to "Definition 3.3" but you don't give us that definition. Also you are asking about "[tex]B_r(a)[/tex]" but don't tell us what that means. Since the theorem is about "open sets", I strongly suspect, but can't be sure, that "Definition 3.3" is the definition of "open set" and that "[tex]B_r(a)[/tex]" is the "open ball" centered at a with radius r.

If that is correct then [tex]B_r(a)[/tex] is [tex]\{ p| d(p, a)< r\}[/tex], the set of all points whose distance from point a (the center of the ball) is less than r (the radius of the ball). From that it follows immediately that if [tex]r_1< r_2[/tex] then [tex]B_{r_1}(a)\subset B_{r_2}(a)[/tex]- the smaller radius ball is inside the larger radius ball.

Olinguito

Apr 22, 2018
Can someone demonstrate rigorously that letting \(\displaystyle r = \text{min} \{ r_1, r_2, \ ... \ ... \ r_n \}\) ...

... implies that \(\displaystyle B_r (a) \subset U_j\) for each \(\displaystyle j = 1,2, \ ... \ ... n\) ... ...
$r$ is the minimum of all the $r_j$ and so $r\leqslant r_j$ for all $j$; hence $B_r(a)\subseteq B_{r_j}(a)\subset U_j$ for all $j=1,\ldots,n$.

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
$r$ is the minimum of all the $r_j$ and so $r\leqslant r_j$ for all $j$; hence $B_r(a)\subseteq B_{r_j}(a)\subset U_j$ for all $j=1,\ldots,n$.

Thanks for the help Olinguito ...

Peter

- - - Updated - - -

The Theorem makes reference to "Definition 3.3" but you don't give us that definition. Also you are asking about "[tex]B_r(a)[/tex]" but don't tell us what that means. Since the theorem is about "open sets", I strongly suspect, but can't be sure, that "Definition 3.3" is the definition of "open set" and that "[tex]B_r(a)[/tex]" is the "open ball" centered at a with radius r.

If that is correct then [tex]B_r(a)[/tex] is [tex]\{ p| d(p, a)< r\}[/tex], the set of all points whose distance from point a (the center of the ball) is less than r (the radius of the ball). From that it follows immediately that if [tex]r_1< r_2[/tex] then [tex]B_{r_1}(a)\subset B_{r_2}(a)[/tex]- the smaller radius ball is inside the larger radius ball.

Thanks for the help HallsofIvy ...

Peter