Fuel Cell Rust: Myth or Reality? A Guide to Maintaining Your Fuel Cell

In summary, the user is asking if leaving a small amount of water in their THames and Kosmos Fuel Cell car and experiment kit will cause it to rust. The answer depends on the material the car is made of.
My User Name
[SOLVED] Can my fuel cell rust

I just bought the THames and Kosmos Fuel Cell car and experiment kit.
I used it to day and their is still a small amount of water left in the fuel cell. will this make it rust. here's a link to the car

http://www.thamesandkosmos.com/store/fuelcell1.html [Broken]

thank you for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Originally posted by My User Name
I just bought the THames and Kosmos Fuel Cell car and experiment kit.
I used it to day and their is still a small amount of water left in the fuel cell. will this make it rust. here's a link to the car

http://www.thamesandkosmos.com/store/fuelcell1.html [Broken]

thank you for your help
Thats pretty cool - whether or not it will rust depends on whether or not it is made of steel...

Last edited by a moderator:

Fuel cell rust is a common concern among users of fuel cell technology. However, it is important to understand that fuel cells do not actually rust in the traditional sense. Rust is a term used to describe the corrosion of iron and steel, which occurs when they are exposed to oxygen and water. Fuel cells, on the other hand, do not contain iron or steel components and therefore cannot rust.

However, this does not mean that fuel cells do not require maintenance. It is important to properly maintain your fuel cell to ensure its optimal performance and longevity. Here are some tips for maintaining your fuel cell:

1. Keep it clean: Regularly clean the fuel cell and its components to prevent buildup of dirt and debris. This can affect the efficiency of the fuel cell and potentially lead to problems.

2. Use distilled water: When refilling the fuel cell with water, use distilled water instead of tap water. Tap water contains minerals and impurities that can build up and affect the performance of the fuel cell.

3. Store properly: When not in use, make sure to store the fuel cell in a dry and cool place. Avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or moisture.

4. Follow manufacturer's instructions: The manufacturer's instructions should always be followed when using and maintaining your fuel cell. This will ensure that it is being used correctly and will help prevent any potential issues.

In conclusion, while fuel cell rust is not a concern, proper maintenance is still important for the overall performance and longevity of your fuel cell. By following these tips, you can ensure that your fuel cell continues to function effectively for years to come.

1. Is rust a common issue in fuel cells?

Yes, rust is a common issue in fuel cells. Most fuel cells use metal components, which are susceptible to corrosion and rust when exposed to air and moisture.

2. How does rust affect the performance of a fuel cell?

Rust can significantly impact the performance of a fuel cell. It can block the flow of reactants and products, reduce the efficiency of the fuel cell, and even lead to system failure if left unchecked.

3. What are the main causes of rust in fuel cells?

The main causes of rust in fuel cells are exposure to air and moisture, as well as the presence of impurities in the fuel or electrolyte. Poor maintenance and inadequate protection against rust can also contribute to its formation.

4. What are some ways to prevent rust in fuel cells?

Regular maintenance and proper storage are key to preventing rust in fuel cells. Keeping the fuel cell dry and protected from moisture, as well as using high-quality and pure fuels and electrolytes, can also help prevent rust formation.

5. Can rust be removed from a fuel cell?

In some cases, rust can be removed from a fuel cell through cleaning and rust removal techniques. However, it is always best to prevent rust from forming in the first place, as it can be difficult and costly to remove once it has formed.