Open problems and conjectures in Mathematics

• I
  • Thread starter flamengo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, there are countless open problems and conjectures in Mathematics currently, with no exact number known. Most mathematicians work on open problems in their specific area of interest, resulting in hundreds of thousands of ongoing investigations. The Collatz conjecture is one example of a well-known open problem, but even a slight variation in the problem can create infinitely more open problems. A small list of open problems can be found on Wikipedia, but each open problem can lead to even more sub-problems.
flamengo
I know this can be a silly question but it's a curiosity of mine and I have no idea what the answer is, so I'll ask anyway. The question is: How many open problems and conjectures are there in Mathematics currently ? I'm sure nobody knows the exact number but an approximation would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can count them. There are a few famous ones, a few less famous ones, but every topic a mathematician works on (or plans to work on in the future) is an open problem - otherwise they wouldn't work on it. The Mathematics Genealogy Project knows about 210,000 mathematicians, most of them still alive, the actual number will be even higher, so going by that we have at least hundreds of thousands of problems someone is investigating.

How do you count open problems? The Collatz conjecture is certainly an open problem. If you replace the 3n+1 rule by 5n+1, is it a different open problem, or is it a variant of the same open problem? If it is different, we can generate infinitely many open problems. Otherwise: How much do we have to vary it until we count it as separate problem?

Likes flamengo

Related to Open problems and conjectures in Mathematics

1. What is an open problem in mathematics?

An open problem in mathematics is a question or statement that has not yet been proven or disproven. It is a problem that mathematicians are actively working on and trying to find a solution for.

2. How are open problems different from solved problems?

Open problems are different from solved problems in that they do not have a known solution or proof. Solved problems, on the other hand, have been proven to be either true or false.

3. What are some examples of famous open problems in mathematics?

Some famous open problems in mathematics include the Riemann Hypothesis, the Goldbach Conjecture, and the P versus NP problem. These have been unsolved for many years and continue to challenge mathematicians.

4. Are there any rewards for solving open problems in mathematics?

Yes, solving open problems in mathematics can bring recognition and prestige to a mathematician. In some cases, there may also be monetary rewards or prizes offered by organizations or institutions.

5. How do mathematicians approach open problems?

Mathematicians approach open problems by using creative thinking, logical reasoning, and various mathematical techniques and tools. They may also collaborate with other mathematicians or attend conferences and workshops to discuss and exchange ideas.