Open and Closed Pipe Length for Harmonics

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a pipe in air at 20 degrees celsius to produce two successive harmonics at 240Hz and 280Hz. The formula for the fundamental harmonic is given, but it is mentioned that this equation is only valid for pipes with open ends. The question of whether the pipe in question is open or closed is posed.
SUXinPHY

Homework Statement

a pipe in air at 20 degrees celsius ia to be designed to produce two succesive harmonics at 240Hz & 280Hz. how long must the pipe be, and is it open or closed?

Homework Equations

v=[tex]\lambda[/tex]f

The Attempt at a Solution

sorry, i could not do it. i totally can't do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
SUXinPHY said:

Homework Statement

a pipe in air at 20 degrees celsius ia to be designed to produce two succesive harmonics at 240Hz & 280Hz. how long must the pipe be, and is it open or closed?

Homework Equations

v=[tex]\lambda[/tex]f

The Attempt at a Solution

sorry, i could not do it. i totally can't do it.
Can you start by telling me what a harmonic is?

harmonics are frequencies of a wave which consits the fundamental frequency.

the formula for fundamental harmonic is

fn
= v[tex]/[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex]n
= n (v[tex]/[/tex]2L)
= nf0

SUXinPHY said:
harmonics are frequencies of a wave which consits the fundamental frequency.
Correct.
SUXinPHY said:
the formula for fundamental harmonic is

fn
= v[tex]/[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex]n
= n (v[tex]/[/tex]2L)
= nf0
That equation is only valid for tubes with open ends, what about tubes with closed ends?

Related to Open and Closed Pipe Length for Harmonics

What is an open pipe?

An open pipe is a type of tube or channel that allows air or fluid to flow through it freely, without being obstructed or closed off at one end. This type of pipe is often used in ventilation systems or as a means of transporting fluids.

What is a closed pipe?

A closed pipe is a type of tube or channel that is sealed at both ends, preventing any air or fluid from passing through. This type of pipe is commonly used in plumbing systems or as a means of containing and transporting pressurized gases or liquids.

What is the difference between an open and closed pipe?

The main difference between an open and closed pipe is the presence or absence of an obstruction at one end. An open pipe allows for free flow of air or fluid, while a closed pipe does not. Additionally, the pressure and flow dynamics of an open pipe are different from those of a closed pipe.

How do open and closed pipes affect sound?

Open and closed pipes have different effects on sound waves. In an open pipe, sound waves can travel in both directions, resulting in a lower frequency and longer wavelength. In a closed pipe, sound waves can only travel in one direction, resulting in a higher frequency and shorter wavelength.

What are some real-world applications of open and closed pipes?

Open and closed pipes have a wide range of applications in various industries. Open pipes are commonly used in ventilation systems, musical instruments, and fluid transportation systems. Closed pipes are used in plumbing, pressurized gas or liquid transport, and sound amplification systems.