OPAmp Impedance Circuit problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving an OpAmp circuit and finding the equivalent impedance. The first two questions are proving to be challenging, and there is a picture attached for reference. The goal is to determine the values of Rx, Lx, and Ry in terms of R, R1, and C in order to match the equivalent impedance of the circuit with that of the OpAmp. One person expresses doubts about the results due to the inverting inputs of the OpAmp and suggests changing one input to non-inverting. Another person mentions R and C forming a potential divider to impress the input voltage on the (+) input of the OpAmp.
bots
I'm trying to solve this problem and the first 2 questions on it are giving me a tough time. Picture Attached.

(1) Determine the equivalent impedance Zeq of the OpAmp circuit. Assume that the OpAmp
is ideal.

(2) Determine Rx, Lx, and Ry as a function of R, R1, and C such that Zeq of the equivalent
circuit is equal to Zeq of the OpAmp circuit.

any help with this is much appreciated. I can find the impedance of the equivalent circuit no problem but the opAmp version is tripping me up.

Physics news on Phys.org
forgot to attach in previous post here's picture

Attachments

• problempicture.bmp
    18.6 KB · Views: 513
I haven't seen an op-amp with both inputs inverting, before this. Okay, so I've lived a sheltered life. :smile:

Therefore, I have serious doubts about it giving the desired results. I think you might have to change the lower input to non-inverting (+). Does that make its analysis more in line with your expectations?

R and C form a potential divider, dividing the input voltage and impressing it on the (+) input of the op-amp.

I understand that solving circuit problems can be challenging and require a strong understanding of circuit principles. In order to solve this problem, it is important to first understand the concept of an ideal OpAmp. An ideal OpAmp has infinite input impedance and zero output impedance, meaning that it will not draw any current from the input and will provide an output voltage equal to the difference between its two input voltages.

To determine the equivalent impedance Zeq of the OpAmp circuit, we can use the fact that an ideal OpAmp has zero output impedance. This means that the output voltage is equal to the voltage across R1. Therefore, the equivalent impedance can be calculated as Zeq = R1.

For the second question, we need to find values for Rx, Lx, and Ry that will result in the same equivalent impedance as the OpAmp circuit. This can be achieved by using the concept of impedance matching. Impedance matching is a technique used to ensure that the impedance of a load is equal to the source impedance, in this case, the OpAmp circuit.

To achieve impedance matching, we can use a series RC circuit with Rx and C in series and Lx and Ry in parallel. The values of Rx, Lx, and Ry can be calculated using the following equations:

Rx = R
Lx = R1C
Ry = R1/R

Substituting these values into the equivalent impedance equation, Zeq = Rx + (Lx||Ry), we get:

Zeq = R + (R1C||R1/R)

Simplifying this equation, we get the same equivalent impedance as the OpAmp circuit, Zeq = R1. Therefore, Rx, Lx, and Ry are the correct values for achieving impedance matching.

I hope this explanation helps you solve the problem. Remember to always use the principles of ideal OpAmp and impedance matching when dealing with circuit problems. Good luck!

Related to OPAmp Impedance Circuit problem

1. What is an OPAmp Impedance Circuit Problem?

An OPAmp Impedance Circuit Problem refers to an issue that arises when using an operational amplifier (OPAmp) in a circuit that involves impedance. This can occur when the input impedance of the OPAmp is not matched with the impedance of the other components in the circuit, resulting in distortion or incorrect signals.

2. How can I identify an OPAmp Impedance Circuit Problem?

One way to identify an OPAmp Impedance Circuit Problem is to measure the output signal and compare it to the expected output. If there is a discrepancy, it could indicate an impedance mismatch. You can also use an oscilloscope to visualize the signals and look for any distortion or abnormalities.

3. What causes an OPAmp Impedance Circuit Problem?

An OPAmp Impedance Circuit Problem can be caused by a variety of factors, such as incorrect component values, poor grounding, or improper circuit design. It can also be caused by using an OPAmp with a different input impedance than what is required for the circuit.

4. How can I fix an OPAmp Impedance Circuit Problem?

The solution to an OPAmp Impedance Circuit Problem depends on the specific cause. Some possible solutions include adjusting the component values, improving grounding, or using a different OPAmp with a suitable input impedance. It may also require redesigning or modifying the circuit to better match the impedance requirements.

5. What are some best practices to avoid an OPAmp Impedance Circuit Problem?

To avoid an OPAmp Impedance Circuit Problem, it is important to carefully select components with matching impedance and to design the circuit with the correct input and output impedances in mind. Proper grounding and shielding can also help prevent impedance issues. It is also helpful to thoroughly test the circuit before final implementation to catch any potential issues.